Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best repair method to an exaust leak around the copper expansion bellow on the left manifold pipe just before the connection to the right downpipe. After removing the heat shields, the crack was visible extending abt 300 degrees around the perimeter of the weld between the copper bellow and the steel manifold.

Is it possible to weld this in place or would it be best to remove the manifold completely and have it rewelded elsewere?

The vehicle is an 1998 EJ25 Legacy Wagon,

I would like to avoid purchasing a new one!

Jonty.

I'm not entirely sure where we're talking about either.

Any pictures? Or reference pictures on the net you could link to?

Off hand, welding should be done off the car. Access is far better and there's no risk of fire. Of course, pullin the manifold off can pose new problems. Like bolts and nuts rusted together and pulling the bolts out of the cylinders and stripping the thread..

I'm not entirely sure where we're talking about either.

Any pictures? Or reference pictures on the net you could link to?

Off hand, welding should be done off the car. Access is far better and there's no risk of fire. Of course, pullin the manifold off can pose new problems. Like bolts and nuts rusted together and pulling the bolts out of the cylinders and stripping the thread..

Sorry for the delay in responding, been away for a few days. I can see

the confusion as the U S manifold is very different to my UK spec. Legacy i.e no expansion joint. As a temporary repair I used an exhaust putty (Hermotite) . This seems to be holding up well.

On reflection the time taken to remove the heat shields would have been far more usefully employed (and easier) by removing the manifold. This is what I shall do if the 'bodge' repair fails to hold up.

Thanks for all your comments

Regards

Jonty