Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why me? i love my subie! damn florida lol

:headbang::banghead: i bought my 88 gl sedan back in november of 05'. at that time i was driving my 73 f-100. by all means i am all about old american muscle and old pick ups. i have owned a few imports. now i like the two hondas i had but they were 78 civics. i loved they way they looked not so much with the timing belts once i broke one i kept up with the replacment so i would not have that problem again. but over time i did not want the hassle. now i am not saying that honda are ***************in or anything like that. but paying 800 for both car together it was a hell of a deal. well when the price of gas spiked last year due to the hurricane season(i live in florida), the reasons for buying another 4 banger was all to appearnt. well shopping for cars could not find much for the money i had(1,000). well my dad told me about this blue car for sale. but he said it has alot of miles on it. i said ok even after found out it was over 300,000. (dad bought a 84 caddy with 68,000 original miles on it) he told me it seems real nice other than the miles. so with some reservations i went 2 hours west of jax to look at it. looked at it and told the guy i wanted week to think about it. he agreed when i flash 4 grants (or 200 bucks) to hold for the week. went back the next weekend and test drove it.:headbang: i was happy with the car and how well it drove(like a car with lass then 100,000) so i bought it. went back the next week and brought her to her new home. well after i got it home i started to llok for any info i could find on it. at first nothing. then more i looked bam(found cardomain and this site) both of which helped find other like mine. well i am now addicted my new subie. i love it. i still love v-8 grunt horsepower. but nnot so much the 3 bucks a gallon for gas. :banghead: now i know that this genration of subies( 80's) common in some places. like out west and north also north west. so here is my problem/plus. problem hard to find subies in junkyards here in fl. or on the road. seen very few at all running or not. plus my mileage is great. moral of the story i like subies like mine. then you very lucky to find any like mine in the south. so any of you 80's subies here in the great state of florida i am here to help represent subies in any way i can down here. Ken

I think their scarecity in florida is partially due to the fact you guys never get any snow, or have any hills - they are common in the Appalachan Mountains areas - though most are pretty rusted out

mine is actually a "native" florida car - it was purchased new from Potampkin Subaru (think they are now Kia or something) in the Miami area around June 1985 - one of the few 4WD models on the lot - its held up great tho, I still have the orig. dealer emblem (not just a decal), and I still have the orig sticker, and paperwork

I know the location of every Subaru in every junkyard I can find in between Melbourne and Vero, and as far West as Orlando along 192. It's about 3 cars for every five junkyards. Most of 'em are pretty rust free, so that means they were driven until they wore out, or were traded down to people who didn't care enough about them to get them out of impound. I found an absolutely rust-free (Okay, a couple of flakes on the inside of the doorskins on the passenger side, but that's really honestly it.) NA '87 with the D/R 5-sp and no radio; all the switches and everything work great. Title in hand for $375 cash.