Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My strange subaru story

I had just put in some timing belts on my ol' 2wd Loyale. Saved the car from a junk yard and the belt off a tooth was the ailment.

Anyway, decided to take it on the highway as the power increase was huge. I am merging onto the highway for all my little loyale is worth and out of nowhere a lime green subaru sedan with "2.2 litre" on the trunk lid goes flying by.In my rural area it startled me to see this. So I kept after my vibrating car's throttle and sure enough was gaining on the lime green hot rod. My speedometer hit 95 suddenly, as it sticks on 72mph. I have no idea how fast we were going, but traffic was very slow in comparison. A wiff of anitfreeze and temp started rising, all the dummy lights but oil came on after a dozen miles or so. I let off throttle , and I double checked that the throttle wasn't sticking, because the car didn't slow down (in neutral!) .With no sound of engine audible,at idle,all I heard was wind. I thought I would glide it to a stop until it just wouldn't glide anymore. A full 1.5 miles went by and I was still at 85mph. Next exit, up over a long hill...2 miles the sign said. To my amazement, I not only glided all the way to the exit, I turned right off the ramp without stopping, went another .75 mile to an intersection, and gave it the brakes to come to a stop in a parking lot. The glide slope was over 4 miles, up over a mile long upgrade, the rest was level. I popped the hood and there was the crank belt pulley contently sitting there with the belt holding it up away from the engine, and bolt still in it ( I didn't torque properly, my bad!). I put it back on,I tightened it up, drove all the way home. I have never encountered anything like it comparing to the 11 other cars I have owned and driven.It simply powered itself by physics unkown to glide that far....

Does 2wd have same flywheel as 4wd? there was something very balanced and powerful happening silently for me to glide that far. I am still bewildered.The drag of the belts taken away left engine unhindered and simply idling , not powering the car at all. How did it do it? Some kinda forward gyro? :-\

I had the pulley thing happen to me last week....but the free gliding thing did not follow.....maybe you were on the edge of a badass twister:grin:

or maybe you just tapped into the free travel in a soob phenomenom:D

Either way it sounds like fun..cheers

I think I've got it now.... The sun was directly in front of me large and bright as I headed exactly west in the afternoon (level out the windshield, I even had to put my hand up for protection to see...) The sun was sucking me in its direction via the subaru aliens who wanted to beam me to another dimensia.....:drunk:

I hate science without answers. I babble like a kid with no explanation but analogy.:-\