Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any Knowledge Helps!

The other day I noticed the Oil Pressure gauge will varies form 25 to 50 or almost 70 is that normal is my oil pump wearing out?:confused: Is that possible? Who knows where to get new rear suspension, what brands to stay away from? I'd like to upgrade to somthing more suited for some real off-road abuse?:headbang: Any knowledge helps! What are a few things I should watch out for, on a '86 2-D hatch with 148K? The engine is stamped EA81.

the stock subaru gauges were never know for being that accurate. As long as the engine isnt ticking, your oil pump is doing fine.

Rear suspension, upgrade to EA82 struts and use honda accord front springs from 87 to 89 years.

As for what brand, I used Monroe Sensatracs and I love em

KYB is good too

The Monroes are much more expensive, is there that much of a difference? How hard is the install? Are there any extra parts I'll need, you know, "Don't reuse that", kind of thing? Any tips for a first timer? I've heard of the BYB site but is that just a body lift, or a true susp. lift?

I used both a body lift and spring lift on my 86 wagon. Yes the axle angles are steep, but they dont bind up too much. I'm thinking of fabbing up some drop down shackles for the control arms in the back, and dropping my diff an inch in the back.

As far the the struts go, I paid a shop to put the springs on the struts because I dont have a spring compressor and the honda springs are considerably stiffer than the subaru springs. You will need a set of junk rear struts from a EA82 so you have get the top caps and the bump stops and all that crap. The sensatrac struts are about 24 dollars more than the cheapo ones. They had cheapos for 18 bucks a piece or the sensatracs for 42 bucks a piece. But that is with my shops discount so I'm not sure what they are for the average person.

There is a mod that you have to do to make the EA82 struts fit on your hatch. It can be found in the USRM link at the top right of the page

its just a body lift. Along with everyone else's lifts that are available (AA and SJR) I'm currently trying to find a way to do a suspension lift in the front. I think I figured out a way to do a suspension lift on the back. (the accord spring deal is a half assed suspension lift just because of the fact it takes up about 2 1/2 inches of sag that you have with the stock suspension and springs)

the numbers you are reading are 4 in the rear 3 in the front I believe. just jacks the rear up an inch. (the numbers are backwards.....) I could be wrong though but it makes more sense to have more lift in the back

That's what I thought, it makes more sense to lift the back more. How well do those body lifts work? Do the monroe sensatrac have that adjustable feature the stockers have? And how does that suspension adjust, anyway? How well do the stockers work? How high do they go?

I like the sensatracs a lot more than stock struts. There is only two years that have the adjustable struts. 85/86 had them. Anything newer is non-adjust. The adjustables were the first thing I took off my car and threw in the garbage. The front struts use nuts on all-thread to compress the spring a little bit. The back has a few notches that you could twist up. I'm not sure how high they went, but I think somewhere around an inch.

I like the sensatracs a lot more than stock struts. There is only two years that have the adjustable struts. 85/86 had them. Anything newer is non-adjust. The adjustables were the first thing I took off my car and threw in the garbage. The front struts use nuts on all-thread to compress the spring a little bit. The back has a few notches that you could twist up. I'm not sure how high they went, but I think somewhere around an inch.

Do they just swap right in and is there anything I'll need to go along with the Sensatracs?