Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitch mount swap? '00 Legacy to '97 Impreza

I installed a hitch mount on our '00 Legacy wagon from eTrailer.com a few years ago. We don't have a trailer, I only use it to attach my rear-mounted bike rack.

I'd like to have one on the Impreza instead as that's my car and I used to have one on an '02 OBS. Great thing about the Subaru hitch-mounted bike rack on the OBS is you can actually open the hatch without swinging the rack down. The Legacy's hatch isn't so convenient, and it's my wife's car so I don't get to use the rack much any more.

But, I'll stop with the superfluous info and just ask: would a hitch mount that fits a Legacy fit an Impreza? So, then I could just take it off one car and put it on the other.

I know they aren't the same hitch. Whenever you look up info about which hitch to use they give you a different one for the Impreza vs. the Legacy. I'm just wondering if, despite that, you can still make it work somehow. I'd just rather do that than buy another hitch ... if possible ;)

my gut feeling is that it may not work. the cars have two differnt chassis. Best way to find out is to take out the tape measure and measure the mounts and see where they end up on the two cars.

nipper

my gut feeling is that it may not work. the cars have two differnt chassis. Best way to find out is to take out the tape measure and measure the mounts and see where they end up on the two cars.

nipper

Hmm! Good idea. I'll try that.