Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3AT Govenor woes, How can I finalize the fix.

I have had tranny shifting issues with my 87 GL-10 turbo since I got it, previous owner said needs a tranny its slipping:rolleyes: well we all know the case of that:D .

I have taken it apart twice now and it is fine for about four days then starts acting up again. I have the fix thread and clean thread bt I cant seem to get it good enough.

I want to know is what is the best and most efficent way and tool to buy and use to clean and debur the edges of the spring loaded part of the govenor.

I did it nice and easy before, because I was affraid to damage it, but what is best to use and do.

Also can I smooth the edges down enough to visually see a curve.

Oh and its not apple cored.

I wa swiating for that reply,:rolleyes: .

How ever, as much as I like to my car has a substantial amount of rust/rot on the underside of it. It is not worth it for me to get to involved in a swap.

I just want to fix the govenor so I can drive it long enough to just save money for a new car, then I have plans after I buy my new car to take my motor and various GL-10 parts and get another sedan with the 5 speed in it already. I just have to find one.

Do not be quite so tentative with your cleaning. I use a battery-powered drill and either turn the part against ATF'd 600-grit sandpaper or spin the sandpaper inside of the part. I also spin the part against a whetstone to slightly chamfer the edges of the sliding valve-shuttle to debur it, and then go over it again by hand with 600-grit. Don't forget that the aluminum valve housing is more likely to score and burr than the steel valve-shuttle.

There should be NO resistance to the parts sliding within/against each other, other than the viscous drag from the ATF. If you somehow manage to take too much off (doubtful with the steel parts, slightly possible with the aluminum housing) the tranny may upshift just a hair sooner. (The valve releases pressure in control lines based on engine speed, so if pressure leaks around the valve a little more than nominal the tranny will just think that the car is moving a little faster than it is.)