Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought a used '02 Outback wagon and I find that when I get above 55 mph that the windows seem to be pretty noisy...as in a windy sort of noise. I'm wondering if people have had their window seals go bad on this model before? I've also noticed that the right side mirror gets a bit wobbly at speed too and wonder if the noise is coming from there. I know its a bit of an odd request, but wondered if others have seen this before?

Howdy, it's common with Subarus. I wouldn't call it a problem, but a minor annoyance which most of us had gotten used to it over time.

And your observation was correct in that it's right around the side view mirrors. Some people have actually fixed it and seemed to be fairly simple. I don't have the link right now, but if you do a search I'm sure you'd find it.

Good luck :)

Gusset gets distorted from people pressing on the window either while opening or closing the door or squeezing past it in tight parking spots etc.. This is a drawback of the frameless door.

OK now for the fix. You can buy new gussets from SOA. I don't know if they were just new or new and improved but mine were both replaced under warranty. Then one tech explained the cause and showed me his fix. Lower the window, squeeze the top part of the gusset together (like reversing the spreading and torqueing action of grabbing the glass) and you should be good to go. Seems logical and frugal. Good luck.