Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clunking Vibration in Turn, 90 Leg.

The saga continues..... my '90 Legacy (Blubaru) has a made a very slight sound in sharp right hand turns for a while now. Not quite a clunking, but more than a ticking.... like a tunking..... Anyway, while in a parking lot yesterday, while backing up and turning hard (wheel all the way right) it made horrible clunking noises and the shifter (automatic) vibrated violently with each clunk. I figured it was done for. But then it went away when I straightened out. It did it one more time a short time later, again while turning sharply in a parking lot. After that, I tried to re-create it, but it won't do it again, so far. The minor ticking-clunking sound in sharp corners on the road is still there as aways, but I can't recreate the other more severe issue. Any ideas on what's up?

As always, I pay homage to the Gurus of Subarus! Thanks for your help in advance!

--Mike

You may have torque bind, you may have a really bad cv joint, you may have both. Make sure all your tires match and are inflated. Put the FWD fuse in the fuse holder under the hood and see if it goes away. If it does, change the tranny fluid, 90% chance that will cure it (also if your fluid is brown you should change it). CLicking on turns is typical of an outer cv joint. Shudder is typical of torque bind.

nipper