Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy with leaky cylinder head

My '89 Justy GL, manual tranny, was making alot of noise around the exhuast manifold. I pulled the manifold off to check things out. Noticed the connection to the catalytic converter had 2 of the 5 studs broken hence the exhuast leak. Also noticed the inside of the cat was in pieces of melted broken honeycomb. Then I saw a few drops of antifreeze coming out of the middle exhaust port. I cleaned out the pieces of cat and buttoned things back up. I wanted to see what a head and head gasket kit would cost. $245 for the gasket kit at out local auto parts store. And, if the head turns out to be bad, another $200 for a junkyard head. Now what's also interesting here, is that I am not seeing any antifreeze in the oil or vise-versa. I lose very little antifreeze, and don't really notice any white smoke coming out the exhaust. The engine has not overheated in the few months that I've had it. The car runs fine. My question is, will it hurt the engine to just keep running it like this (of course adding antifreeze once in awhile) or do I need to pull the head and fix the problem? I searched the internet part suppliers and found 3 types of head gasket kits: Felpro $161, Ishino $117, and Stone $87. I know Felpro makes a good product, I've never heard of the other companies, anybody know anything about their gaskets? Am I overlooking something, maybe it's not the head gasket but something else? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Jack

Thought 1): It could be just a leaking intake manifold gasket.

Thought 2): The expense for the head set isn't the gaskets so much as the replacement "torque to yield" head bolts.

Thought 3): When I faced an obviously blown head gasket a couple of years ago, I looked at head set cost vs. JDM engine, and the JDM was not that much more. Went the JDM route.

ISHINO, IIRC, is OE (Original Equipment) gasket manufacturer. Haven't heard of Stone, probably a redistributor.

Northwet, thanks for the reply. If it is the intake manifold gasket, is there a test to see if it's that or the headgasket?

The headbolts are not included with the sets, so they have to be replaced also?

I was thinking the same thing about putting in a replacement engine if the head turns out to be bad. I guess that's a bridge I'll cross when the time comes.

Thanks again for the info.

Jack

More good advice, thanks guys! I've always been skeptical about those stop-leak products, but I think this might be a good time to try one. If it doesn't work and I do end up taking the head off I will also replace the timing belt, tensioner, and the oil pump.

I have used the K & W I mentioned above, to seal several leaks over the years.I had a 6 cyl. Chevy pick-up that had a leak, from the intake that was almost a slight stream. I put in K & W , started it, & watched it slow down & STOP ! Over a year later, it was still sealed. One Ford V-8, had a leaking head gasket [ but still good compression]. It fixed it, too.The ONLY leak stop I recommend. A full can, 1 qt., is for a larger engine, so I only would try 1/2 that.