Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Switch for Window '00 OBW

Recently, my drivers side window had problems rolling up. (power window)

I would hold the switch up, and it would take 2-4 sec before moving, then would finish going up as normal.

Then, it didn't go up at all. We took apart the door, fiddled with some things, and it went up again. But I don't think we fixed it.

I can't afford a new switch cluster, so I'm looking at places like carpart.com and other sites for used ones.

is there a part number, or "name" that I can look for so I don't get the wrong part?

thanks.

oh... 2000 OBW 140k

If you're certain that the switch is the problem, try this first, because the switch contacts may just be dirty. Get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner, pull the switch from the arm rest and disconnect it from its wiring harness. Find the seams and openings where you can spray in the contact cleaner and cycle the switch several times, and repeat the process. Give the unit lots of time to evaporate before you hook it back up to its harness, turn on the ignition switch and try it out. Its worked for me in the past, more than once.

If the window glass is sticking in its tracks and binding somewhat, that will slow down the entire process and stress your window motor, and possibly burn it out. In this case, spray some silicone lubricant into all of the window glass tracks. Not only should this free the glass movement up and down, but it'll help prevent the glass from freezing in the tracks next winter. Good Luck!