Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 OBW, 2.5, 108000miles

new timing belt, water pump, tstat, other belts, and #4 injector in the past two months.

Merging onto an uphill stretch of a highway right after work, there seemed to be no problems. but as i reached the top of the hill (under 1/4 mile from the ramp), the car would shudder as I stepped on the accelerator. Approaching the next section of the hill, there was no easy downshift, and no acceleration. The RPMs and speedo were both slowing ever so slightly as I stepped on the pedal. I put the car into 3rd (automatic), and the car was able to accelerate. But back into drive, the car would shudder. I eased off the gas, and powered through the hill at about 45 (no shuddering). At the 25mph offramp (to the next highway), the car seemed fine, and on the next highway (fewer hills), there were no problems accelerating. It seems to only happen every once in a while at that one spot on that one highway for that half mile.

Any ideas? No CEL, no other symptoms (that I've noticed)

When in drive, and you depressing the accelerater, how hard/quick were you pressing on the accelerator? Did you try flooring it, and seeing if it would downshift.

Subaru transmissions are kind of finicky like this. My auto had similar issues, which I think was caused by the torque converter not unlocking. Giving it more gas to cause the trans to downshift would help.

Try the flooring it thing and see if that works.

Whens the last time you've checked/changed the trans fluid?

I didn't floor it... don't want to do anything to hurt ole blue. I had a tranny flush when it was in for the timing belt. I thought I had the problem licked. Any chance it could be due to water? It just started raining again Sunday night/Monday, there had been sun pretty consistantly before that. Just one factor, probably unrelated, but I'm not sure.

On my way home tonight, I'll try flooring it, but I just don't think the car should shudder like that. I guess I'm just a hypocardriac

check to make sure the drain for the a/c evap box is free of debris, and is connected properly.

It's right behind the glovebox.

You should be able to get an idea of where things are located from these pics of my 90 legacy

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/acevap/

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/accomp/