Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about Stero Upgrade 2005 OBSport

Good Morning,

After a recent road trip (Boston to Detroit and back) I now feel the need to get new stero to intergrate the ipod into for my 2005 Outback Sport SE.

Presently I am looking at getting this head unit http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2190544&cp=1124288.1124546.1124466&filter=yes&fCat=1124466&fbrandid=92340&fpricesort=priceAscending&parentPage=family

I would end up running an stero to mini headphone jack into the AUX in-put to play my ipod.

My plans were put on hold today because I found out that if i put an aftermarket head unit in place of the factory in dash CD changer, that my subwoofer will no longer be controled by the "new" deck. This would result in a muddy sub and thats not going to fly with me.

Has anyone run into this problem before? is there a solution or am i stuck with the 6 disk changer? I really only wanted to swap the head units and not have to buy an brand new sub.

This was A LOT easier with my last subi (97 Outback sport). Why has Subaru gone the path of making after market stero install such a pain in that rump roast?

thank you for your help

still not as bad as a mazda. the stereo is part of the center console (on all of the new ones except the tribute and truck), so a new aftermarket stereo requires cutting the console. ouch.

be lucky that it removes with a few screws....

have you searched for some way to plug in your ipod without getting a new headunit? like a fm transmitter or a tape player converter?

I just put a sony head unit in my 97 obw, and it has an input on the front, and bult in subwoofer options. I can either run it off the amp in the headunit, or just uotput the signal for an external amp.

How can the sub not be used with a new head unit? Isnt it basically just two leads that connect to an amplifier?