Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing head gaskets to fix coolant leakage

I have a 2000 Forester 2.5, which has 151,000 miles on it.

The engine started overheating out of the blue and my trusted mechanic broke the bad news to me today: the coolant is leaking both externally as well as in the engine (as a result of the hydrocarbon test).

He suggested to replace the head gaskets and quoted around $2500. If not, he suggested going with the special additive to prevent leakage in the short run.

Reading through the forums, it looks like 2.5 engines from 2000 to 2002 have this problem.

My questions are (especially to those who have been through this problem);) :

1. How effective is the additive solution?

2. If I go ahead with this expensive repair, how likely am I going to have the same problem again (and how much mileage will I get out of the car)

3. Is there a third alternative than replacing the gaskets or using additives?

Thanks in advance!

Milo in SFO

Reading through the forums, it looks like 2.5 engines from 2000 to 2002 have this problem.

i think it's more like 96-2000 or 2001. with the earlier ones having a different failure mode than the later (external).

1. How effective is the additive solution?

probably worth a try, others have had success so it seems. but after external and internal leakage has started it's probably a very long shot. some on the board have added it after initial overheats and it "solved" the problem.

2. If I go ahead with this expensive repair, how likely am I going to have the same problem again (and how much mileage will I get out of the car)

no problems, the newer head gasket is different to alleviate this "issue". get the newest gaskets directly from subaru and you won't have problems with it assuming the job is done right.

3. Is there a third alternative than replacing the gaskets or using additives?
CCR rebuild. they are subaru speciliasts. good option if you plan on keeping the car a long time. installation costs unless you do it yourself.

install a 2.2 motor (1995 and up). they don't have head gasket issues, are easy to swap and easy to find (inexpensive). you could have this done for $500. $250 engine + $250 installation. that is what i'd do, except i'd install it myself.

I had it done on a 2003 at 88,000 miles. I did the stop leak 1st as soon as Subaru recomended it got an additional 20,000. If you have any documentation that you wanted a dealer to check out a leaking coolant issue before 100,000 (I think thats the number) you can get some relief from Subaru. We split labor and parts and they did the timimng belt while they were in there. Subaru picked everything up but $200.00. I jumped at the deal. Don't belive anything you hear about new and improved gaskets. The Outback is a great car and it serves me well. Subaru is an outstanding company that stands behind their product.

The problem is selling your car at this point. At 150000 you pretty much have $5000 of value +or _. tack another $2500 of HG replacement and you still have a car with 150000. Lets face it big things start to go wrong at this mileage. I think you have hit the time to buy a different car. That may be what the dealer is trying to push towards. As for HG cost I would think $700 / side on the HG repair but I'm not sure. That gives them 6 hours to do the job at $80/hr plus materials. It is a roll of the dice I had an accord that I sold with 165000 and that thing is still clicking along with 240000. and I had an Audi with 60,000 was sold for parts. You just never know how long they go till they give up the ghost.