Ultimate Subaru Message Board

17" rims on my BRAT pics

What's it gonna take for you to build up my brat like that for me? :headbang: (If I was wealthy I would totally be throwing money at you!)

That's the sweetest street brat in N.America for certain. Great job, keep up the good work, and for the love of god - give me your car!

Well i must have at least $10,000- $15,000 in to it by now and if i was going to build it for some one else i would have to charge $20,000 CA. but that is still around what a good 2002 WRX costs around here they go for 20-25,000$ still with low km . but you would have a BRAT that was faster :grin:

so what I'm gathering from what you're saying is the front was actually not too difficult to do. You reamed out the balljoint hole in the EA81 control arm, made your own custom axles (which BTW, looks great!), and modified the XT6 strut to fit into the EA81 chassis, like redrilling the strut tower? Or did you decide to go with an EA81 tophat onto an XT6 strut? Looks great nonetheless!!!

so what I'm gathering from what you're saying is the front was actually not too difficult to do. You reamed out the balljoint hole in the EA81 control arm, made your own custom axles (which BTW, looks great!), and modified the XT6 strut to fit into the EA81 chassis, like redrilling the strut tower? Or did you decide to go with an EA81 tophat onto an XT6 strut? Looks great nonetheless!!!

Close but i modified the EA81 strut to fit the XT6 nuckle , i built a EA81 strut with a 2 bolt style bottem .

Also i had to cut and rethred the inner tirods for the bigger XT6 outer tirods

Looks great mate.

But tell me, what did you do to weld the drive shaft? Did you use a lythe to get the shaft straight. Or did you just do it free hand? I see you used a tube over the shaft, how thick is it, and is it just plain steel, or high tensile?

Looks great mate.

But tell me, what did you do to weld the drive shaft? Did you use a lythe to get the shaft straight. Or did you just do it free hand? I see you used a tube over the shaft, how thick is it, and is it just plain steel, or high tensile?

I lathed the shaft down to have a press fit in to 1/4 wall 1"1/2 seemless tube then checked them in the lathe for strateness , tack them in 4 spots on each end , tig weldeg them out of the lathe then rechecked them back in and did a light cut across the shaft to take out any slight bend .

I've dun 6000rpm launches and they still hold up :banana: but i wasnt worred beacuse ive built them for lifted rigs with 31" mudder tires and they still hold up , as long as you dont just slap together some old pipe and a stick welder and expect them to work .

It would be better to just get a set of custom axels built at a machine shop but i didnt want to spend upwards of 1000$ on fully custom axels , this way it was just my time .

Cool. I have all the tools needed to do the job. Not doing it on a subie, got plans for a 2L mid engine suzuki hatch (normally fitted with a .8L lol).

Very nice workmenship. But hows the camber angle on the front?

good i can actualy ajust it unlike the stock EA81 frontend:) i can get lots of + camber if needed its the caster that i will have to work on to try to limit the under stear :-\ .

• 4 weeks later...
XT6 5 lug hub swap . and a lot of luck :) they just fit .

Can I get a complete parts list that you used to make the 5 lug hub conversion for your Brat and a list of mods that were absolutely necessary to make the change? I know it may sound like I am asking alot but please take your time, I got all year to make the conversion. I am revamping my Brat for it's 20th birthday next year and a new set of wheels are in the mix!

Thanks!

*EDIT -Just to clarify a bit - I meant things like the axle size tha you made to get the other parts to work. That way I can take your measurements to a shop and have some made. Matter of fact, we should all get together and create a kit to make this mod for this car! LOL, right!

The rear needs only the Backing plate hub and roter the calaper is the same and the CV axel is the same .

The front is just the compleet nuckle ( roter , CV axel, balljoint,tirod ends, nuckle calaper mount ) with some mods to the car to make it fit the EA81 car, i had to reem out the lower ball joint socket in the control arm to fit , cut and shorten the CV axel (inner cup is the large turbo type) and build a strut adapter to fit the cup and clamp type struts of the EA81 car .000_0046.JPG

This is the parts list basicly , the parts are easy , but making them fit is another story , you will have to buy the proper tap to shorten the inner tirods , a tapered reem to largen the lower controll arm , and building the axels you will need two types the one that fits the tranny and the XT6 outer , i only had to cut the XT6 ones because i used the larger RX XT6 and WRX trannys in my brat over the years . i dont know the exact lenths and sizes that they are since i did this about 4 years ago

I built the strut adapters so i could use the stock 1983 2WD struts so it would sit lower .

I'm currently working on changing all the front XT6 nuckles for WRX parts , the front brakes just are not large enuff to stop the car under race conditions and the struts are to soft for hard cornering with the WRX EJ20t engine.

I will up date that swap when summer is over , just no time for car stuff right now .