Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stiff/ sticking throttle body '98 OBW

Hi All,

I've got a '98 Legacy Outback- just finished swapping in an EJ22 from a '95 Legacy. (Using the '95 Legacy throttle body.) ANYWAY, the throttle has a really stiff hitch in it around the idle position- worse if the car sits for a bit. Action is smooth beyond that point. I lubed the external parts of the linkage and the problem seems like the throttle body is binding internally. I'm assuming there's carbon build up inside. My questions are: 1.) Is this a known problem? and 2.) is it safe to clean the inside of the throttle body with carb cleaner, or is there some kind of coating in there which will get screwed up?

thanks in advance,

Nathan

Well, I went ahead and cleaned the throttle body. It's all good now. I was concerned about cleaning it, as I know some cars have a special coating in the TB which solvents can screw up. It appears that the only coating in my TB was gunk!

regards,

Nathan

Hi All,

I've got a '98 Legacy Outback- just finished swapping in an EJ22 from a '95 Legacy. (Using the '95 Legacy throttle body.) ANYWAY, the throttle has a really stiff hitch in it around the idle position- worse if the car sits for a bit. Action is smooth beyond that point. I lubed the external parts of the linkage and the problem seems like the throttle body is binding internally. I'm assuming there's carbon build up inside. My questions are: 1.) Is this a known problem? and 2.) is it safe to clean the inside of the throttle body with carb cleaner, or is there some kind of coating in there which will get screwed up?

thanks in advance,

Nathan

Is there a Subaru part # for the TB coating as you describe? ;) Thanks for your follow up which will benefit the SEARCH function on the site.

Well, I went ahead and cleaned the throttle body. It's all good now. I was concerned about cleaning it, as I know some cars have a special coating in the TB which solvents can screw up. It appears that the only coating in my TB was gunk!

regards,

Nathan