Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pffffffffft!:horse:

I was driving home on Friday, and the rear passenger air strut, that I've aptly named shifty (due to it's behavior), can now be called shifty-no-more. I pulled into my parking garage and it hissed till it was flat.

I'm going to switch out these crappy air struts for some standard suspension, something I should've just done when shifty started shifting. :banghead:

My Legacy wagon is a 94, and I may have a line on some parts cars. None of these are a 94, but I'm assuming if it's a 90 - 93 the suspension parts should match my 94. Is this right, or am I assuming too much?

Also, if anyone near Seattle has a complete set of strut assemblies (non-air) that fits a 94 legacy, let me know.

Too bad I didn't know about this a week ago. I just crushed an entire '90 leg. wagon. The susp. was in prime shape. :(

I was driving home on Friday, and the rear passenger air strut, that I've aptly named shifty (due to it's behavior), can now be called shifty-no-more. I pulled into my parking garage and it hissed till it was flat.

I'm going to switch out these crappy air struts for some standard suspension, something I should've just done when shifty started shifting. :banghead:

My Legacy wagon is a 94, and I may have a line on some parts cars. None of these are a 94, but I'm assuming if it's a 90 - 93 the suspension parts should match my 94. Is this right, or am I assuming too much?

Also, if anyone has a complete set of strut assemblies (non-air) that fits a 94 legacy, let me know.

Also, if anyone near Seattle has a complete set of strut assemblies (non-air) that fits a 94 legacy, let me know.

By my understanding, the 90 and 91 have tampered rear springs that are don't match the 92, 93 and 94 strut mounts. However if you are swapping everything from a donor car then it doesn't matter.

Sound about right?

By my understanding, the 90 and 91 have tampered rear springs that are don't match the 92, 93 and 94 strut mounts. However if you are swapping everything from a donor car then it doesn't matter.

Sound about right?

That should help a bit, since I'm looking to swap out the entire assemblies. Thanks.

you could get some Monroe Sensatracs for pretty cheap. and they're very good, it's what i have on my 96

So it is done. I finally switched out the air suspension with some standard suspension. Lessons learned:

1. It is obvious that a shop will charge you to much for this conversion. My favorite shop, really good guys, said they could do it for me for $1150. Bah, I bought the car for $2300 for christ's sake. That's when I knew I'd be doing it myself.

2. Parts at the local wrecking yards aren't always the cheapest. Both local yards wanted $500 for a the 4 strut assemblies I needed. All in all, not that bad, but I just felt I could get them cheaper. I tried to negotiate with the yards. The conversion from air to standard was obviously too common to have any ground to negotiate from. They knew they'd be able to sell those parts to the next customer, so why lower the price for me. Can't blame them for that. I put an ad out on craigslist.org and got all my parts for only $200. :banana: They're the same as what I would've gotten from the yards.

3. No suspension sucks, and power tools rock. So I started working the suspension. Those damn self locking nuts got the better of me. I need an air compressor and an impact gun. I wasted hours trying to break those nuts free, then decided to visit a friend of mine east of here. The wagon went east, on no suspension. My air compressor wouldn't inflate the system at all anymore, so I rode on nothing. I felt like I was in a covered wagon on the Oregon trail. Every little bump bounced me all over the place, and the entire trip was on smooth interstate. Ugh, my back hurt by the time I got there. Then his impact gun took the strut-to-knuckle nut off in about .056789 secs. That was the only hard part of the job for me, and the power tool took it off faster than I could sip my beer.

Well, with the right tools, the job was done in 3 hours, with a break for dinner in the middle. Easy, peezy, lemon squeezy.

Thanks for all the info guys!!!

For those of you looking for standard suspension to convert your air system ... put an ad out, and check the classifieds for parts cars. Mucho money savings!!!!

Total cost: $208

Strut/spring assemblies = $200

Half rack of Rainier Beer = $8

:headbang: