Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey folks,

I have a 01 Outback. We had a major problem with a shaking steering wheel when going over 60MPH. We changed all 4 tires and replaced the axle. That fixed the shaking when driving high speeds.

However, the steering wheel now shakes when the car slows down quickly. This wasn't happening before.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Morever, is this gonna cost me a lot to fix it? Too many car costs lately have hit us pretty hard. :mad:

Thanks in advance!!!

Brake rotors warped? But then you would've felt that before, unless your shaking from the tires was masking it.

I'm assuming you got a 4-wheel alignment when you got new tires? (And an axle? Huh?) If not, you probably should.

Very possible the shaking from the tires was masking the shaking from the brakes. And we got a new axle because it was leaking or something--not totally sure on the details as my partner was the one who brought it in.

And yeah, we got it aligned after the tires.

Very possible the shaking from the tires was masking the shaking from the brakes. And we got a new axle because it was leaking or something--not totally sure on the details as my partner was the one who brought it in.

And yeah, we got it aligned after the tires.

Hmm... axles don't leak. Maybe what they did was replace your CV joint/boot at the end of the axle? The boots protect the CV (constant velocity) joint, and the boots can get tears in them exposing the CV joint and flinging grease all around.

Either way, good thing on the alignment. Might have them check your rotors. I suppose if your wheels were causing that much chatter, it couldv'e made your brakes wear uneven. Now even though your tires are running true, your rotors might not be. If they haven't been turned down already, they can probably just resurface the rotors without having to replace them. But that's just my armchair diagnoses... wait for the real gurus here to chime in before you do anything!