Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 cylinder Suby

I missed a very small Suby the other day, unfortunately I was going the wrong way. It looked like a small van. Someone told me earlier small Suby's had a 2 cylinder motor, can anyone fill me in on the history if any.

I have a Suzuki Mighty Boy and was wondering if I could fit a 2 Cylinder Suby motor in it as the one I have is getting a little tired? Can anyone help me? Great Forum Regards Tony:grin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_360

Subaru 360

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

180px-Subaru360-1.jpg magnify-clip.png

Subaru 360

Pkmn.360.JPG magnify-clip.png

Subaru 360 Convertible as shown in Pokémon

The Subaru 360 was the first automobile mass produced by Fuji Heavy Industries' Subaru division. The 360 was produced from 1958 to 1971.

The 360 featured an air-cooled, 2-stroke 356 cc engine mounted transversely at the rear. The engine was designed with a capacity of less than 360 cc so that the Subaru 360 would qualify for Japan's keicar class. The body was of monocoque construction and featured a fiberglass roof panel, which was considered very advanced in 1958.

When introduced in 1958, the 360's engine turned out 16 hp and Subaru claimed 66 mpg fuel economy; by the end of production, power had increased to 25 hp with a 36 hp twin-carbureted engine as an option.

I missed a very small Suby the other day, unfortunately I was going the wrong way. It looked like a small van. Someone told me earlier small Suby's had a 2 cylinder motor, can anyone fill me in on the history if any.

I have a Suzuki Mighty Boy and was wondering if I could fit a 2 Cylinder Suby motor in it as the one I have is getting a little tired? Can anyone help me? Great Forum Regards Tony:grin:

Tony,

You can find out a bunch of info on the 360's in the "Historic" Subaru Forum.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Do a search and see if you can dig up some info.

The reality is if you have a newer Suzuki, I'd think you could find a newer Suzuki replacement motor easier. The Subaru 360 motors have not been produced since 1971 and parts are not easily available, at least in the US. I'd think a used Suzuki motor would be newer and a direct fit replacement.

My .02

Glenn