Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All,

I recently had the dealer replace the clutch on my '02 WRX 5-spd after 60,000mi. For the last 1/2 year I had to baby the accelleration (under 3K RPM) to minimize torque and keep the clutch from slipping. The replacement did the job (and took care of my wallet too), but now it's like having a new car again. I had almost forgotten how much fun it was to drive. I needed some brake work, new rotors all around and pads in the front as well. To my suprize however, I noticed that my mileage INCREASED about 10-15%! Before the work I was getting between 26 and 27 MPG (75% highway at 65 mph, 25% city). Now I just measured over 28 MPG, mostly highway at 70 mph and not babying the accelleration either. I know that my best mileage would be closer to 50 mph steady in 5th and going up in speed dramatically affects the mileage as well. BTW-had an oil change (synthetic) at the same time. Anyone else experience mileage improvement after getting a new clutch? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

LT

Sounds pretty simple to me. If your clutch is slipping, your engine is turning more times than are being transmitted to your tranny input shaft. So some of the work being done by your engine is going up in smoke (figuratively and/or literally).

To put it another way: if you were running a marathon, your miles-per-bagel would decrease if you were running on ice in bacon-soled shoes, rather than on pavement with fresh rubber soles. Make sense?

ohhh... geez, can't wait for winter to try that out...

sounds like one of those odd canadian winter sports :D , like this thing with sticks and ice, and they chase this little black thing, i think its called a puck

nipper