Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ticking sound...

I'm getting a ticking sound as I turn the car (86 4WD GL Wagon). I am getting the sound mostly when I turn to the right at speed. I have heard it a few times going straight over 20mph. The best way to describe it is the sound a car makes when it goes over a washboard surface or if it had a rock stuck in the tread.

I'm sure it has been doing it since I bought it, but a friend and I replaced the old rusted exhaust and its alot quieter so I suppose I am just now hearing it. I don't know much about the car (although I am slowly learning). I WAS planning to get some Hella driving lights, but I am guessing THIS will be the next project :eek:

Oh yeah, 184K miles.

Any thoughts?

The ticking sound was (and I am loathe to admit it :mad: ) 2 loose lug nuts in the drivers side front wheel. This morning I went out and picked up 2 CV joints, ball joints and some brake pads (since I was going to be in there anyway). On the way back from NAPA I noticed the tick turned to a slapping sound and something about it seemed wrong. So, I pulled over and went to the source of the sound (the drivers side front). I grabbed the wheel to get better purchase while looking underneath and I heard a familiar "slappy" sound. After a bit of inspection I realized there were 2 loose lug nuts. One $12 lug wrench later the ticking, knocking and slapping were all gone.

I returned the CV joints and kept the ball joints (they need to be replaced anyway) and the brake pads. So, there you go, a tale of a newbie and his Subaru.

Ah well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I guess the same principle applies here. :rolleyes:

Kevin

I had a similar experience right after I got my sube on the road. I heard this ticking sound and I thought right away, oh crap, there goes one of my axles. I drove just a little further and something seemed really wrong. Sure enough, a couple of lugs had come loose. That's one reason I carry tools with my subie ;) Glad to see you didn't lose a wheel!