Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy developed rapid clanking sound

My recently purchased 2000 Legacy developed a clanking or knocking noise coming from the engine recently. We haven't driven it since, worried that we may do more damage plus we've been on vacation. This seems to have occurred soon after an oil change and injector cleaning. The oil level is okay, prehaps a bit high. Any ideas ..suggestions???

Okay..additional info..Sounds like metal on metal, doesn't go away when warm, sounds link a loud ting, ting, ting, ting etc manual tranny. It's not a subtle noise, haven't cussed at it yet, I'm sure there's time for that later!

You have to be more specific, what kind of klanking sound? Metal to metal, metal to plastic? Auto or manual tranny? Does it vary with RPM? Does it go away after warmed up? Have you tried cussing at it? And no, I don't know much about anything, but someone who does will chime in shortly :D

connecting rods (no push roads on an OHC engine) is a deep hollow knock. This can be a heat sheild, can be the starter drive, can be any number of things. Bad bearings dont sound tinny.

How many miles on this. Does it change with the clutch or eingine rpm

nipper

connecting rods (no push roads on an OHC engine) is a deep hollow knock. This can be a heat sheild, can be the starter drive, can be any number of things. Bad bearings dont sound tinny.

How many miles on this. Does it change with the clutch or eingine rpm

nipper

122,000 miles sound changes with engine speed, my son tells me he rev'ed first to 4500rpm and after that this started. Thanks in advance for any info you can give

122,000 miles sound changes with engine speed, my son tells me he rev'ed first to 4500rpm and after that this started. Thanks in advance for any info you can give

that should have nothing to do with it, as these engines go to readline at full throttle.

Quick test is to remove one plug wire at a time and see if the noise changes. If its a connecting rod the sound will change. Main bearings are never an issue.

The noise should be fairly steady and a knoc knock knock sound. If its not it may be a cracked flex plate.

try this test then ill give you something else to try next.

nipper