Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my dad's not a big Subaru guy...

but he just bought an almost mint '87 GL EA81 hatchback for $900!:banana:

Its the tan color with the redish tint to it, has an EA81, FWD 5-speed, with only 84,000 miles on it! Has a scratch down the driver side with a small dent as well but he says it runs like a champ! My dad of all people, bought a Subaru... Way to go! Now if he'd only use the internet, he might come on here and see what crazy things we do to them, hehe:headbang:

my parents both thought that my Subaru obsession was a little bit weird, but sure enough, 3 years later, my dad got a brand new Forester, and he's been loving it ever since. The only reason my mom didn't was because she wanted a hybrid, so hopefully she'll be in the subaru fold within a few years.

Hear that subaru, you lost a sale cause you don't have hybrids

i've owned my first sooby for 11 years which i just lifted a couple years ago, my parents have always thought it was a good car. then i bought an 89 dl wagon about a year ago. well last year my dad bought a 91' lagacey for my mom to upgrade her out of her old car (datsun 510) and she loves it alot. then late last year i sold my dl wagon to my dad and he loves it except for the fact that i need to do the timimng belts and an oil pump. recently my sister bought an 87 gl wagon that she loves too. i have recently ( well in january) bought an 84 wagon as a daily driver which now has 14" pugs w/ aggressive snow/mud tires and the suspension tweeked up.

BTW my whole family (me, dad, mom, brother and sister) was in to datsun 510's (the early ones) ever since i bought my first one the summer i graduated high school in 83'.

so my family has been baptized into subarus from datsuns except my brother, he hasn't seen the light yet and converted over. lol . :lol:

seems odd my parents are always following my foot steps sorta speak :confused:

My dad told me earlier on the phone, which is when he told me about it, that it runs real nice, shifts smooth, and he said he actually liked it! The main reason he bought it though, was because my younger sister is finally getting her license and learning how to drive. She's too short to drive my '88 Camaro which has a v6 in it (thank god) so my dad I guessed thought this was the perfect car for her. Plus she likes the color and the way it looks. Once I move back to Washington, I might have to convince her to make to 4wd and go out wheelin it a bit:headbang: Since I'm gonna be getting a EA81 myself to lift and wheel:clap:

soon enough hybrids will be in the same bin as livestrong/kaballah bracelets, Atkins, pogs, lemon lime vanilla diet cola, boy bands and frosted hair tips:grin:

along with gasoline and diesel engines, or have you not noticed the price of gas?

the industry knows there only a stopgap measure, because stupid american's won't drive smaller vehicles so they have to make the huge tanks we drive more fuel efficient. eventually when gas hits 6 bucks a gallon, maybe we'll start buying smaller cars instead of complaining about the huge SUVs that we, as a country still seem to buy at record levels

if hybrids were any good subaru would make one

there working on it, there smaller than toyota so they have less money to invest on new projects like hybrids, but rest assured, they'll be here soon enough.

I bought my first subaru (84 GL 4wd Hatch) when I was 15. I paid $40 for it and then had to fugure out what to do with it cuz I didn't even have a license yet. It wasn't road worthy but I didn't care. I paid the guy, he gave me the title, and I drove it about 2 miles to my mom's house. After inspecting it and realizing It was far beyond repair, we dubbed it the Blue Bomb and drove it to the farm where it lived happily for about 2 years. The hood was left off of it during a rain storm and that was the end. We laid her to rest with around 350,000 miles on her. We still use her for parts when applicable. When I got my 95 Saab turbo in 2003 and couldn't afford to keep it runnin I returned to my roots and gave $225 for the 85 GL I now use for a daily driver... not that it stops me from tearin' it up off road or doin some crazy mods. My mom wasn't thrilled about me buying it until I showed her my plans for it and she realized how dependable they are.

along with gasoline and diesel engines, or have you not noticed the price of gas?

the industry knows there only a stopgap measure, because stupid american's won't drive smaller vehicles so they have to make the huge tanks we drive more fuel efficient. eventually when gas hits 6 bucks a gallon, maybe we'll start buying smaller cars instead of complaining about the huge SUVs that we, as a country still seem to buy at record levels

there working on it, there smaller than toyota so they have less money to invest on new projects like hybrids, but rest assured, they'll be here soon enough.

Hybrids are the ultimate obsolete technology, "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" is a good way to put it.

Car makers need to start building what stupid Americans need, not what stupid Americans want.

Every new non-performance vehicle should have a diesel engine. Every diesel engine should be burning vegtable oil. Gasoline should be reserved for owners of sports cars and classics.

Hybrids are the ultimate obsolete technology, "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" is a good way to put it.

Car makers need to start building what stupid Americans need, not what stupid Americans want.

Every new non-performance vehicle should have a diesel engine. Every diesel engine should be burning vegtable oil. Gasoline should be reserved for owners of sports cars and classics.

thank you

althogh i dissagree diesels are good engines but they pollute more than gas engines do we need to move twords

Ethanol a renewable resoursce that all cars can run on effectively

also sorry russ thread hijacked

thank you

althogh i dissagree diesels are good engines but they pollute more than gas engines do we need to move twords

Ethanol a renewable resoursce that all cars can run on effectively

also sorry russ thread hijacked

ACTUALLY Jeff, diesels only product soot which is what the black smoke from the exhaust is. Diesels are much cleaner engines then gasoline engines are.

Also, quit hijacking my thread!:-p This is my thread to hijack:lol:

ACTUALLY Jeff, diesels only product soot which is what the black smoke from the exhaust is. Diesels are much cleaner engines then gasoline engines are.

Also, quit hijacking my thread!:-p This is my thread to hijack:lol:

You're gonna make my continue this hijack:

Diesel engines also produce more SOx and NOx. But that's only cuz US diesel is so freaking dirty. It'll be mucho bettero when we get ultra low sulfur diesel. But as far as HC and CO emissions, diesel is so much lower, purely because of the higher compression and higher efficiency.