Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car wont idle at times, maybe the EGR?

So for some time now my car hasn't wanted to idle right, adjusted some things and when it does idle it runs at 2k rpm but most of the time if I am not accelerating it dies...it seems to want to idle for a short period of time after i have ran it on the highway for a while but most of the time it dies on my when i dont tpress on the gas. Was thinking, could it be the EGR maybe?

Have you been playing with anything under the hood? I had my carb off cleaning it and when I replaced it, the car wouldn't idle. it would idle high for a bit then die. I had a vacuum line disconnected. Mine would also run as long as I was accelerating or pedalling the accelerator.

probably some vaccum lines in the wrong spot or like 1 tiny one not pluged in or a whole in it.. I dont know I had the sane thing happen to me. But I adjusted the idle screw to fix it. Ive had vaccumm problems befoer too though. Pcv may make it run like idle liek crap i think! I dont General Disorder knows most

i had a similar problem--car idled as long as i had had it (about 3 years). then suddenly one day it stopped idling. I am wondering if this could be linked to a similar problem that just started. (the idle thing started several months ago.) Recently I have had no power in my 1987 suburu GL hatchback 4wd. If i get up to about 15 mph, it chokes out. then if i back off the gas it will do a little better, but i can never run it over 2500 rpms. if i shift and give it very little, or no, gas, it will keep running, but i have to shift again at about 2500 or else it will die. My mechanic took off the front and back catty, but it didn't help.

How this relates to this post: at the same time he turned up the idle, a lot, so now my car idles again (a lot higher than it did) but i am wondering if there is something else that could have caused both these problems. (it seems to me like the engine is flooding itself out..smells strong gas. and after he turned up the idle my car frequently won't start. related?) Thank you anyone who is able to help me at all, or at least point me in a new direction. I appreciate it!

its an ea82 1987 subaru GL 4WD wagon, carbed. Adjusted the idle up and it didnt really fix anything, just idles high the few times it actually idles. changed the pcv valve and air filter ...there are a couple of vacuum lines that i think should be connected somewhere that i could never figure out where they go...will take some pics and see if anyone knows where they should be routed.