Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 Body with 2.2...radiator

ShawnW

The lower hose outlet on my 83's radiator points directly toward the timing belt cover and leaves very little choice on mounting a hose between it and the thermostat housing.

What have others done to get around this problem. So far I have come up with:

A: 90 degree bend of copper pipe so you have a 2" section of rubber, a 90 degree bend and then a flexhose running from the bend to the thermostat housing.

B: Custom radiator...I dont like this idea I have a nearly brand new radiator already.

C: 1.8L Impreza radiator? The only advantage I can see on this is the hose outlet is already the same size as the thermostat housing AND the mounts for the impreza radiator fan (nicer fans).

Shawn, what I did with my wagon (its an '86... but this still kinda applies) is bought a brand new radiator, then I had the inlets and outlets modified to be the same size as the Legacy's radiator. I then found a hose the right size with a perfect 90 degree bend in it (it looked like an L, cost about $12 at Schucks) I cut the bend out, and affixed it to the radiator, then in the part pointing down I used a straight section of copper pipe (3" or so long) to join a slightly modified stock hose to it. And, because i forced the 2 hoses together, you can't even tell there is a piece joining them together... aside from the 2 clamps.

It would be simple as pie to take this one step further and change the bottom to a larger, 90 degree bend down. Then just use some creative hosage.

I'm still not 100% happy wiht my upper hose... The bends don't like the 3" of lift I have.

Below is a pic of the setup I've got on my hatch.

Stock rad, but the car's got a 4" lift and a custom angle steel lower rad support, which may have given me slightly more wiggle-room. Everything works great though. I found the right angles and sizes I needed in 2 prebent hoses and used a 1 1/4" plastic hardware store coupler to connect them. BTW, the stock EA81 rad with a 12" hayden fan does a phenomenal job cooling the EJ22. No worries there.

DCP_5728.jpg