Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greeting folks, CEL, 98 Outback, 5 speed, speedometer/odometer don't work. I pulled codes P0500, P1540...(Seems like VSS2)

Questions:

1) Which is VSS 2 in the following?

Picture 1: On PASSGENGER side of Transmission.

Picture 2: On DRIVER side of transmission case - if it one of them, which one is it? Blue or red?

2) How can be I be sure it is VSS 2 ? Any diagnostics I can run at some connectors?

post-8024-136027616721_thumb.jpg

post-8024-13602761673_thumb.jpg

Greeting folks, CEL, 98 Outback, 5 speed, I pulled codes P0500, P1540...(VSS2)

Questions:

1) Which is VSS 2 in the following?

Picture 1: On PASSGENGER side of Transmission.

Picture 2: On DRIVER side of transmission case - if it one of them, which one is it? Blue or red?

2) How can be I be sure it is VSS 2 ? Any diagnostics I can run at some connectors?

the second one is #2. located on top of the transaxle.

Usually if the CEL says you have a bad VSS, you have a bad VSS. Try unpluging them then pluging them back in incase its a dirty connector, but its probabaly the sensor.

nipper

I think I am pretty confused!

If I go by the autrepair.about.com, it would be Picture number 1 (see thumb nails at top) - on passenger side.

If I go by what nipper suggested initially, and some other postings on this site, it seems like it is Picture #2, the thing towards rear of transaxle - the thing circled in blue.

I think I am pretty confused!

If I go by the autrepair.about.com, it would be Picture number 1 (see thumb nails at top) - on passenger side.

If I go by what nipper suggested initially, and some other postings on this site, it seems like it is Picture #2, the thing towards rear of transaxle - the thing circled in blue.

i got mine from haynes. See if they are interchangable, if they are you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right, and can easily swap them.

call jamie at https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

and she can tell you

nipper

:banana:Okay, I replaced the speed sensor (Picture 1 - Part # 85082AC012) and the speedometer works now! Pretty easy to replace this part - you can get around the exaust to remove the old part from the bottom. You can screw in the new part from top with hood open, though it helps to get underneath to tighten it. Raising the car helps, but I think is not even necessary.

Need 17mm wrench.

100 bucks for the part at the dealership in Bay Area!

Thanks Nipper!