Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been havin trouble with my AC for the past several years. Operates intermittently.

The unit is reluctant to come on in the morning or evening - essentially when its cooler. On a hot summer afternoon, it inevitably fires up and may run for 15mins. before shutting off and becoming intermittent again.

I've had it to the shop. The first time the guy put a little freon in (~ 1/2 lb - not bad for a 15yr old car) and - maybe its my imagination - it seemed to work better. Improved performance lasted for about a week. Now back to the same

Took it back into the shop again, and this time was told its something electric. The intermittency, apparently, is due to the voltage cutting off to the compressor. The guy wanted $180 to troubeshoot + whatever parts would be necessary.

When I look into the receiver drier sight glass, the liguid shoots through, stops very briefly, and then shoots through again. I mentioned this inconsistent freon stream to the AC mechanic, but he dismissed it as the cause.

This crate isn't worth shoving a lot of money into, so I'm looking for suggestions. When the AC is on, it operates well. The problem is getting it to come on and then stay on.:headbang:

Been havin trouble with my AC for the past several years. Operates intermittently.

The unit is reluctant to come on in the morning or evening - essentially when its cooler. On a hot summer afternoon, it inevitably fires up and may run for 15mins. before shutting off and becoming intermittent again.

I've had it to the shop. The first time the guy put a little freon in (~ 1/2 lb - not bad for a 15yr old car) and - maybe its my imagination - it seemed to work better. Improved performance lasted for about a week. Now back to the same

Took it back into the shop again, and this time was told its something electric. The intermittency, apparently, is due to the voltage cutting off to the compressor. The guy wanted $180 to troubeshoot + whatever parts would be necessary.

When I look into the receiver drier sight glass, the liguid shoots through, stops very briefly, and then shoots through again. I mentioned this inconsistent freon stream to the AC mechanic, but he dismissed it as the cause.

This crate isn't worth shoving a lot of money into, so I'm looking for suggestions. When the AC is on, it operates well. The problem is getting it to come on and then stay on.:headbang:

\\

:Lets check the pressure switch first. The way for you to find out would be to jump the pressure switch out (since the system is full). Another possability is the evap thermo switch. This one makes more sense since it seems to be temperiture based, and that is the only temp switch on the system.

nipper

\\

:Lets check the pressure switch first. The way for you to find out would be to jump the pressure switch out (since the system is full). Another possability is the evap thermo switch. This one makes more sense since it seems to be temperiture based, and that is the only temp switch on the system.

nipper

Where are said switches located?