Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical smoking......not good

Well on my way home (me and my mom). im driving my 1993 Loyale 5spd. are driving listening to the radio on low(aftermarket clarion CD player) and i smell something funny(like a rubber burning) so look at my radio because it just stopped playing sound?(even though the lights were still on) and theres some white smoke coming out of there, so i undo the faceplate and it seems to stop. so as i pull into my driveway, i notice that the clock doesn't work, nor do the seatbelts/ umm WTF? is this fuse related? or what? im really pissed and im gonna get a different car. I think that I bought a lemon. TOD, LEAKY exhuast, car smells like gas after you turn it off(in and out), clutch slips like crazy. I don't want to put the time or money into this 139000 Loyale. Anyone interested? I gots new tires and an OK paint/body job....

the stereo is probly wired onto the same power wire as the clock and seatbelts. the stereo probly was drawing too much power, therefore causing the wire to smoke and possibly melt. if this is the case, just rewire the stereo onto its own power source/fuse.

or...like you said, sell the car and buy something better if this one is giving you so many problems....

thats a good question:confused: maybe one of the power wires was not taped or capped properly and it hit bare metal causing it to ground therefore creating smoke and cutting off power?

if you still want to fix it, just yank the radio out and look at your wiring, the problem is probly right up there........

thats a good question:confused: maybe one of the power wires was not taped or capped properly and it hit bare metal causing it to ground therefore creating smoke and cutting off power?

if you still want to fix it, just yank the radio out and look at your wiring, the problem is probly right up there........

Yea..... I used the splice connectors, where you crimp them

sloooow down! take a deeep breath. AHHHHHHHHHHH

I had all the same problems....took tinkering and time.

I would now take it anywhere across the country with 20k more than yours on mine.Priceless motivation is all that is needed.

I hope you wired seperate channels for your speakers.

EGR is a tragedy waiting to happen, if you believe in oem setup, another car would be an option

-- that is your gas smell, among other things.Mine smelled like dead animals, deisel, ether, gas, burning oil-- all while engine consumption was good. Top end heat on the engine gets behind radio at heater box very very hot when it opens, and even when it isn't, it acts as a heatsink to perfectly vapor gas every direction. The pipe coming out of head to intake for the egr turned into a spark plug wire on mine.All of it EGR TRYING TO KILL ME.Passengers got it even worse.That one fix alone made my decision to keep it, rather than give up.I can confidently say that all loyales do it, no doubt about it.for it to be unnoticed by its owner makes me frown to say the least:-\

IF I could buy it I would, lots of life left.I hope you don't give up...all cars need maintenance, the loyales don't ask for much above the norm.

sloooow down! take a deeep breath. AHHHHHHHHHHH

I had all the same problems....took tinkering and time.

I would now take it anywhere across the country with 20k more than yours on mine.Priceless motivation is all that is needed.

I hope you wired seperate channels for your speakers.

EGR is a tragedy waiting to happen, if you believe in oem setup, another car would be an option

-- that is your gas smell, among other things.Mine smelled like dead animals, deisel, ether, gas, burning oil-- all while engine consumption was good. Top end heat on the engine gets behind radio at heater box very very hot when it opens, and even when it isn't, it acts as a heatsink to perfectly vapor gas every direction. The pipe coming out of head to intake for the egr turned into a spark plug wire on mine.All of it EGR TRYING TO KILL ME.Passengers got it even worse.That one fix alone made my decision to keep it, rather than give up.I can confidently say that all loyales do it, no doubt about it.for it to be unnoticed by its owner makes me frown to say the least:-\

IF I could buy it I would, lots of life left.I hope you don't give up...all cars need maintenance, the loyales don't ask for much above the norm.

Thanks, but I'm young. And Loyale's aren't exactly anywhere near the "hippest" of cars. I want a car that I can buy stuff for as far as engine/body mods. I don't want to have to take this and that off another car, build something to connect them etc. Plus I want something that can break 100MPH....

And it is not the EGR, when it is RUNNING infront of the rear passenger wheel, gas streams out of some rounded washer looking thing, I can get pics after the rain....I;m sure it has life left, but thats too costly and time consuming for me. I don't have the knowledfge or tools necessary to continue with this car....If there were any board members (or sube owners in general) around me, than I would continue, but there is not....

So I looked at it today, I replaced the broken fuse, electronics worked but smoked immediately. I pulled the fuse unplugged and took out my HU untangled some wires, and put it back. NO SMOKING! however, only my subwoofer works for sound, the door speakers don't....Maybe I shouldn't have used stock speaker wiring? regardless, car is still for sale look in the for sale forum.

you might have shorted out your radio or poped a fuse inside of it or fried all the channels except the sub?:-\ I Havent Had Any Problem With Using The Stock Wiring And Im Using Aftermarket Radio And A Sub As Well So ..... You Now Know To Electrical Tape All Connections

So I looked at it today, I replaced the broken fuse, electronics worked but smoked immediately. I pulled the fuse unplugged and took out my HU untangled some wires, and put it back. NO SMOKING! however, only my subwoofer works for sound, the door speakers don't....Maybe I shouldn't have used stock speaker wiring? regardless, car is still for sale look in the for sale forum.