Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water pump worn?

When I flushed the cooling a couple weeks ago, when I refilled the system before I put the thermostat back in I started the motor and expected to have alot of water come out of the thermostat housing, I had a hose in the radiator. water came out but not max volume, how fast should th ewater have come out?

I have been dealing with a under cooling problem for some time, when it is above 60*F and driving at speeds above 55 MPH i start getting warm, if I turn the heater on I can keep it cool, so I assumed the radiator was plugging up but after the flush/cleaning I did, I am now thinking maybe the water pump is shot, I have both the clutch fan and electric fan and even with the electric fan on it will overheat.

When I flushed the cooling a couple weeks ago, when I refilled the system before I put the thermostat back in I started the motor and expected to have alot of water come out of the thermostat housing, I had a hose in the radiator. water came out but not max volume, how fast should th ewater have come out?

I have been dealing with a under cooling problem for some time, when it is above 60*F and driving at speeds above 55 MPH i start getting warm, if I turn the heater on I can keep it cool, so I assumed the radiator was plugging up but after the flush/cleaning I did, I am now thinking maybe the water pump is shot, I have both the clutch fan and electric fan and even with the electric fan on it will overheat.

1. Maybe your thermostat is stuck partially closed. Take it out, boil it, and watch what it does.

2. Flushing a radiator doesn't always clear up the blockage. Might need a new one after all. Feel the radiator fins when the motor has warmed up; if there are cool spots and hot spots, then the radiator is clogged.

3. If the water pump was shot, I think you would hear its bearings squealing.

Take the belt off or relieve the tension on your water pump pulley. Now try to wiggle it up and down, left and right, and in and out. It shouldn't move at all... a little is ok, a little as in "I think it may have moved....but that could have been my imagination". Also, try to spin the pulley, it should have a little resistance with smooth rotation, no grinding or hard spots.

-Justin.

i will pull the belt and see how the pulley spins

Well i just got done doing a revamp on my cooling system. Turns out radiator i got was twice as thick and the bottom radiator hose came out straight instead of at an angle. Changed out the thermostat/radiator and now i'm stuck on the water pump! You have to take the whole front of the engine apart just to get to the damn thing! My car was running fine untill i turned it off than coolant came shooting out the seal on my pump. I'm in the middle of replacing it and it sucks! Beware! lol