Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '02 EJ-25 with 60k miles has been dripping a little oil from the center of the cam cover since about 30k miles. I assumed it was the crank seal but after digging through the Endwrench articles I came across this:

"If you encounter a 2.5 liter engine with a leaking or dislodged front crankshaft oil seal, consider the oil pump as a possible cause. It may be necessary to remove the oil pump and examine the rear sealing plate of the oil pump. The screws holding the rear sealing plate may be loose. Some have been reportedly backed out 1/16 inch. This allows oil to exit the pump rotor area and get into the oil pump body where it is pressurized. This pressurized oil pushes on the seal, causing it to leak or pushes it out of it's mounting."

The question for anyone familiar with this is: Other than the slight drip, is there any harm in waiting until the big front teardown (t-belt, et-al.) to address it?

**** ******!

This is the first i heard of this (not saying its not true). You car is real young to have an oil leak. As long as its not hemorging out the bottom of the car, your fine. Most the times these things get fixed early cause the oil drips on the exhaust and makes smoke.

nipper

The question for anyone familiar with this is: Other than the slight drip, is there any harm in waiting until the big front teardown (t-belt, et-al.) to address it?

:burnout: Not really a problem - as long as you check your oil level frequently and don't mind the smokey mess that accompanies this type of leak. I drove MANY miles before doing something about my leaky crank seal. Just stinks a lot.:rolleyes:

Thanks Nipper & JPX. Yeah, too young or too something.

I'm trying hard to be a die-hard Subaru fan, 'cause I really do like the dynamics of the boxer motor and of the car in general, but I gotta be frank, this '02 Outback Sport has been a dissapointing piece of crap. My old '89 Dodge (Mitsubishi) Colt had less noises, squeaks, leaks and problems at 100k miles than this thing did at 20-30k miles.

**** ******!

center of the cam cover is likely the oil pump

could be the front crank seal or the oil pump o'ring to the block

i'd recommend swapping these seals, timing belt, water pump, tstat and all gaskets all at the same time.

it's not to terribly uncommon, seals do wear over time.

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png