Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy Clutch Question

Not bad at all!! Just use a 2x4 across the strut tower to secure the engine. Use a chain or cable between the lifting hook and the 2x4 to keep the engine "UP". This makes life easy because you will have to remove the cross member and motor mount to remove trans. (Now you don't have to work around a floor jack on the oil pan) Tap out the inner CV joint pins, and remove the inboard bolts (Left & Right side) that attach the lower control arms to the frame. Then, push each wheel outward and the inboard CVs will disengage from the trans. Just swivel them out of the way. After removing clutch cable, wire connectors, and trans bolts. The trans will come right out.

On a lift with air tools I had one on the ground in 15 min. On my back on a gravel driveway with my "Road Tools", a floor jack and my jack stands... 1hr 30min....Hey, I'm 42 years old..I work slow on gravel!!

Really..If the car is not a "Ruster" and runs good It's worth it to do a clutch. The Gen 1 Justys are becoming real hard to find these days!

Good Luck!!

Jim

All right Justy owners>>> I`ve got the opportunity to buy a 87 2wd Justy that needs a clutch. How difficult is it to change???