Ultimate Subaru Message Board

passed State Inspection 14!

Took a bit of fabricating on a wheel well- but passed the stringent standard :)

If I drank beer I'd have one :drunk:

Congrats! Wish I had one of those. My '81 DL tanked the stringent Maine State Inspection today (bad tie rod ends, exhaust leaks, and apparently it overheated during the test - besides that, it's great!).

Maybe I should cut my losses and just print out a copy of that purdy orange sticker...:brow:

Oddly, emissions is the one thing that they don't check here (not in my county, anyway.) Just as well, it'd probably fail that too.

I may register as an antique auto and get exempted from inspection. Gotta love the logic there - "No need to inspect your antique auto - what could possibly go wrong with a 25-year-old heap?"

Congrats! Wish I had one of those. My '81 DL tanked the stringent Maine State Inspection today (bad tie rod ends, exhaust leaks, and apparently it overheated during the test - besides that, it's great!).

Maybe I should cut my losses and just print out a copy of that purdy orange sticker...:brow:

1981 maine suby going for a sticker? You got real lucky to even have enough car to attempt it! The oldest daily driver Subaru I have ever seen was my own (I mean daily driver non-stop year round) that was a 1987 that finally broke the unibody petrified in 2005. Steel shattered like glass when I took a hammer to it.Good Luck on your '81 :)

Yup, that's a stringent test. No holes, brakes must be ok, headlights aimed, full exhaust, etc. I used to be a certified inspection mechanic when I was in HS there. Kinda funny, junior in high school, I wasn't old enough to work in a shop, but I aced the test to get certified. Really got the instructor wound up, cause he offered before hand to buy lunch for anybody that got a better grade than he did when he took the test, and he got a 98%.

I remember the rust up there, a ten year old car is a fairly rare thing, even if they do get washed often. I had a Nissan Sentra loose both rear shocks when the perches rusted through. It was 12 years old, had only been in salt for three years.

Maine specs sucks!! Plus, they should outlaw salting the roads. WTF!!!! The state is responsible for destroying countless vehicles!!! Sue the $#!t outta the state for destruction of property. You pay for tabs, registration, gas tax, tolls(where required), and they are responsible for ruining your vehicle. They can be held liable big time. I would love to meet a JURY that disagrees. Espacially(sp?) a jury that recognizes Subaru's abatity(sp?) (had a few pints)

1981 maine suby going for a sticker? You got real lucky to even have enough car to attempt it! The oldest daily driver Subaru I have ever seen was my own (I mean daily driver non-stop year round) that was a 1987 that finally broke the unibody petrified in 2005. Steel shattered like glass when I took a hammer to it.Good Luck on your '81 :)

I just sent my '84 GL wagon to the crusher after the floor rusted through. Other than that, I've only seen one other EA-81 on the road around here in the last 2-3 years. I see a fair number of EA-82s around here, but fewer all the time.

My '81 came here from Washington. Probably why it won't pass inspection now - the previous owner spent all their time trying to pass emissions and ignored all the other stuff. At least it's not rusted. Yet.

Only thing wrong with it registered as an antique is that you can only drive it a certain amount or at least that's what it's like in washington

When I registered my old '74 Celica as an antique auto, they told me "oh, and you can't use this as a daily driver," but I looked up the statute and it doesn't technically specify a yearly mileage limit or anything. I see a few old wrecks driving around with antique plates, presumably just to beat the inspection. I'm guessing that the guy with the rusted-out '78 Grenada I used to see every morning wasn't on his way to any parade or car show.

WOW!!! An '81 from WA with no rust probs??? All the rain we get here, WOW!! My '83 Brat is rusted bad at the bottom of the doors and the rocker panels. But my '80 wagon isn't bad at all, just a few spots, and a couple minor holes in the floor, but the '80 is for off road, so it's pretty banged up here and there, but still rolling strong. Even though, I gotta use her for a daily driver every now and then...... RWD at the moment.

When I registered my old '74 Celica as an antique auto, they told me "oh, and you can't use this as a daily driver," but I looked up the statute and it doesn't technically specify a yearly mileage limit or anything. I see a few old wrecks driving around with antique plates, presumably just to beat the inspection. I'm guessing that the guy with the rusted-out '78 Grenada I used to see every morning wasn't on his way to any parade or car show.

Man, I used to have an '74 Celica, first year GT was imported to the states. Crashed her twice though. Looked bada$$ with the '85 Supra factory mags with big n little tires, old school musclecar style. Still got the grille, headlight buckets and trim, rear taillights and trim, GT embalems, HOOD VENTS!!!!!!!!! And the real cool gas cap/filler spout that was mounted up high.

Maine specs sucks!! Plus, they should outlaw salting the roads. WTF!!!! The state is responsible for destroying countless vehicles!!! Sue the $#!t outta the state for destruction of property. You pay for tabs, registration, gas tax, tolls(where required), and they are responsible for ruining your vehicle. They can be held liable big time. I would love to meet a JURY that disagrees. Espacially(sp?) a jury that recognizes Subaru's abatity(sp?) (had a few pints)

And I'm the USMB drunken apprentice, thats my job to post after having beer!

Oh and congrats on the inspection. Glad I don't have any of that crap here, not even road salting really. They use more like lava rock for traction but in some counties, they do use salt every now and then, if its really bad.

WOW!!! An '81 from WA with no rust probs??? All the rain we get here, WOW!! My '83 Brat is rusted bad at the bottom of the doors and the rocker panels. But my '80 wagon isn't bad at all, just a few spots, and a couple minor holes in the floor, but the '80 is for off road, so it's pretty banged up here and there, but still rolling strong. Even though, I gotta use her for a daily driver every now and then...... RWD at the moment.

Well, "not rusty" is a relative term up here. Especially given my last Subaru, where the whole floor came up with the carpets. The doors and rockers on the '81 look like they're thinking about rusting, but nothing too serious yet.

Man, I used to have an '74 Celica, first year GT was imported to the states. Crashed her twice though. Looked bada$$ with the '85 Supra factory mags with big n little tires, old school musclecar style. Still got the grille, headlight buckets and trim, rear taillights and trim, GT embalems, HOOD VENTS!!!!!!!!! And the real cool gas cap/filler spout that was mounted up high.

Mine was a '74 ST - I think the only difference in '74 was that the GT had the five-speed and different grille and trim. Great car, definitely turned some heads. I'm a hack mechanic at best, though, and it's near impossible to find parts up here, so I sold it off to a guy in Canada with the time and $$ to do a proper restoration on it. Still miss driving it, though.

Pic: http://www.15q.net/img/celica2.jpg

I dunno about the salt there-

Ya know the two or three days they have here where you actually can't go out because the weak little rubber-tipped plows they use can't get 1/8" of ice off the road? And if you did go out, you'd need chains on your Subaru to move in the direction you want, and stop?

Now, imagine that from late November until April, sometimes early May depending on where you're at. That would be Maine without salt.

I do have to admidt, though, that for the wild swing in temps between winter and summer, and all the frost heaves in the winter, the roads are actually pretty decent.

At least they were in 97, when I was last there.

I dunno about the salt there-

Ya know the two or three days they have here where you actually can't go out because the weak little rubber-tipped plows they use can't get 1/8" of ice off the road? And if you did go out, you'd need chains on your Subaru to move in the direction you want, and stop?

Now, imagine that from late November until April, sometimes early May depending on where you're at. That would be Maine without salt.

I do have to admidt, though, that for the wild swing in temps between winter and summer, and all the frost heaves in the winter, the roads are actually pretty decent.

At least they were in 97, when I was last there.

Oh man, serious about chains on ice. I spun out 180 in 4wd turning a corner from a stop sign real slow in my wagon. It was slow motion spin, I was like "please don't hit anything!!!!". Didn't hit anything. But had to do a wide u-turn to get back going the other way. No traffic, it was 4 am.