Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help identifiying tach wire at coil (99 OBW)

I've installed a remote starter on my 99 obw, but I have a problem. The remote starter detects engine start by monitoring voltage and/or tach signal if present (if the tach wire is connected). It works well with voltage detection however if I leave the a/c on then after the car starts the voltage is lower than the threshold expected by the remote starter and it shuts down the engine because it thinks it didn't start. So I have to connect the tach wire, but on the DEI website it gives me some wire color codes that don't match with reality. Probably in 99 subaru changed the wiring (I suspect this because they've changed the security system also and put an Alpine and on the website they merrily state that the alarm disarm wire is some green color whereas the Alpine is known not to have a disarm wire). And to get to the point (finally) I need help in identifying the three wires (red/green, yellow, blue) in the coil plug. I tried to measure the voltage on them, but strangely enough they all have the same voltage (AC of course). I even tried measuring the DC because I expected to find a 12V on one of them and there was none (again strange). So if anyone could help shed some light in this matter, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

[...]And to get to the point (finally) I need help in identifying the three wires (red/green, yellow, blue) in the coil plug. I tried to measure the voltage on them, but strangely enough they all have the same voltage (AC of course). I even tried measuring the DC because I expected to find a 12V on one of them and there was none (again strange).

The info I have shows that the red/green and blue wires come from the ignitor, but the yellow is a hot lead that should have 12 VDC on it in both start and run modes. The same DC source is what powers the fuel pump relay.

Thanks for the info. I'll try again tomorrow morning maybe the needle I used to make contact didn't penetrate the isolation on the yellow wire well enough. Do you have a schematic on that ignition part ?