Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel help

I recently purchased a 86' brat. It had been sitting in a junkyard for awhile but I was able to start her up and get her to run. well the other day i tried to start it up and it was a no go. I pulled off the air fillter and no gas was squirting into the carb. I replaced the fuel filter underneath the bed and it appeard that both lines had fuel in them and i pulled the fuel filter off underneath the hood and tried to start it and no gas came out.

Any ideas wat it could be? fuel pump?

thanks

fuel pump is possible - so is gum from the tank getting to the carb - fuel pump is easy to check though - it is under the bed, near the filter

get an assistant to disconnect/watch with a bucket (for the fuel to go into) the fuel line coming up to the carb

put 12 volts to the pump - if it runs, your friend should see gas come out - in that case, you have a carb problem (the fuel pump isnt getting power), otherwise - fuel pump is bad, or tank is clogged

my 85 brat did the same thing i was getting fuel pressure but not enough to keep the float bowl full of fuel found out i was only getting .5 lbs of pressure and should of been around 1-3 lbs, so do like 85Sub4WD said but make sure you get a bit of a stream and not just a little bit comming out

alright so i pulled my fuel filter off and had some1 turn the car over and just a drizzle of gas came out of the line coming into the filter. does that mean the pump is bad or is there another filter inside the pump that could be clogged?

• 2 weeks later...
alright so i pulled my fuel filter off and had some1 turn the car over and just a drizzle of gas came out of the line coming into the filter. does that mean the pump is bad or is there another filter inside the pump that could be clogged?

my guess would be a bad pump

you can also disconnect the lines at the pump, and under the hood at the filter and blow low pressure air thru them with an air tank or compressor. You might have some junk in there. Also trace the lines and see if there is and roll over valve or anything connected in the lines other than the pump and filters. If so take it off and try again. I bet you just have a bunch of crap from the tank in the lines. The entire system needs a flush.

I have an 87 Brat EA81. I took the carb off to have it rebuilt since the accelerator pump was leaking and the truck has been sitting in a barn since 1998. I took the fuel sending unit out to check for rust before I flush the sytem and SUPRISE, no rust!!!

As I was bolting the unit back in, I broke one of the bolts that holds the unit on. The other four are holding it pretty tight but should I be worried about this??

Also, how do you flush the system? Add fuel, disconnect ignition coil, turn over until about a gallon of fuel has been flushed through the line, replace filter, connect to carb, and go???

Thanks!

:banana: <--my wife loves this one!