Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help ... Please

86 Brat D/R 4 speed tranny. Truck will drive normally in 4wd lo. In 4wd hi truck will not move. In normal front wheel drive truck will not move. No unusual noises. Axles and hubs are OK. Does anyone know anything about this type of problem? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

cardineau

i forget, do 4spds have a neutral area inbetween 4hi and 4lo?i know my 5spd does.and it is almost not noticeable,at least until you get used to it?maybe?

I've tried every kind of position of the fwd lever. The dash light only lights up on 4 lo. and it only lights up the 4wd light when in reverse. Is there also an electrical circuit which activates the transmission or is it only mechanical? Thanks for the help.

cardineau

I've blown a couple front diffs which rendered fwd useless. Not sure that's your problem though, not moving in high range.

I have jacked the truck on stands and both diffs are working in 4wd lo. nothing working in front or 4wd hi. it is beginning to look like the high range is out in the transmission.