Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a problem with using a hose clip to seal the gear box side of the rubber boot rather than the thin S/S bands on the drive shaft. Its just easier to tighten with the shaft still on the car. I'm worried about the balance. Rgds Ian

Is there a problem with using a hose clip to seal the gear box side of the rubber boot rather than the thin S/S bands on the drive shaft. Its just easier to tighten with the shaft still on the car. I'm worried about the balance. Rgds Ian

I used regular worm gear hose clamps on my old Civic years ago after the mechanic messed up the OEM bands. Never had an issue.

If you are worried about balance, you could probably disassemble one hose clamp, slip the 'worm' fastner part of it onto another hose clamp, then position it 180 degrees from the other worm fastener, thereby providing balance. I'm not sure just how doable this is. I haven't studied one close enough. Just an idea.

Commuter

Much easier and probably a better solution than using a hose clamp is to use one of those big heavy duty cable ties (like the coppers use to haul you off:eek: )--just loop it around the boot, through the slot and pull it up tight. Cut off the excess. These are what the 912 Porsche guys (including myself) are doing these days with regard to securing the CV joint boots to the axle shaft.

ditto on the wire ties or zip ties as some people call them, I started doing this on my atvs to allow for greasing and it works very well. Just a quality tie wrap, like one with a metal locking tab,,,