Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New airfilter!! Wow what a difference. and cam cover question

Its like a whole new car. Damn that old one was messd up, really got dirty after 2,000 miles, Guess I should have paid attention. 5.50 for the new airfilter, I'll probally make that up in gas savings over the next week.

My cam covers are leaking and I amm wondering if I need to remove any of that timing belt cover stuff to swap them out. I can't see the front end of the covers very well (next to the cam gear), looks like they might be alittle close to the aft part of the timing belt cover.

Thanks

Sounds like it'd be a good time to get rid of those damn timing belt covers. ;)

But if you're not down with that at the moment, I'm fairly certain you can pull the valve covers and replace the seals w/o taking off the timing belt covers ( or anything else, really ).

Good luck

But if you're not down with that at the moment, I'm fairly certain you can pull the valve covers and replace the seals w/o taking off the timing belt covers ( or anything else, really ).

correct, you don't need to take anything else off to get to the valve covers. You'll just need a long 10mm wrench (one of the ratcheting ones would be a very nice investment for doing this).

You'll just need a long 10mm wrench (one of the ratcheting ones would be a very nice investment for doing this).

Ooooh yes - I highly recommend the GearWrench ones. I picked up a couple sets ( specifically for my valve covers ) from Sears - absolutely indispensible. Great for all kinds of tricky bolts/nuts. They go on sale often, so keep an eye out and get-you-some! :)

I just decided to go for it and see what would happen. I got one off and replaced the gasket before I came in to read the posts. Damn I wish I had a long set of those gear wrenches. I have the stubbie set, some of those bolts are a little hard to get close to with the big clubs I have for hands. I will be buying a set of the long gearwrenches after I get a bigger tool box.... I can't buy more tools if I don't have the room now can I!?! Shoping for tools is so easy to justify sometimes. Oh and about those gaskets. The one that I have removed was hard as a rock, cracked when I tried to pull it out. Hmmmm wonder why it was leaking.