Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to test an AC compressor--EA82

I have a 92 Loyale and I think my only problem is a slow refrigerant leak in the AC system. The compressor *seems* to be working in that the clutch engages and it draws power from the engine. Is there a reasonably quick test I can do to check the operation of my compressor? My guidebooks basically just say "Don't you touch the AC system". I would prefer a test that does not involve removing the compressor.

Also, similarly, is there an easy way to tell which refrigerant port is low pressure or high pressure? I'd rather not buy a guage if I can avoid it. Thanks for any help.

I'm not so much lazy as really busy right now.

The port that goes to the condensor is the high side, the one that comes from the evaporator is the low side. You really do need gauges just as a doctor needs one to take your blood pressure.

I have a 92 Loyale and I think my only problem is a slow refrigerant leak in the AC system. The compressor *seems* to be working in that the clutch engages and it draws power from the engine. Is there a reasonably quick test I can do to check the operation of my compressor? My guidebooks basically just say "Don't you touch the AC system". I would prefer a test that does not involve removing the compressor.

Also, similarly, is there an easy way to tell which refrigerant port is low pressure or high pressure? I'd rather not buy a guage if I can avoid it. Thanks for any help.

I'm not so much lazy as really busy right now.

If the pressure is low, but not so low as to make the low pressure switch shut down the system, I do believe you are in luck.

Does the system cool at all? Use a thermometer in one of the dash vents and see if you get some change when you turn the system on.

Ports: The compressor should be marked with a D for discharge (high pressure) and S for suction (low pressure).

If you were to add freon, it would be done via the low pressure side. Which comes to the next question. Got Freon? This should be an R-12 system unless it has already been converted. R-12 sales are quite restricted.

Nick

r-12 is illegal to manufacture, so we only have whatever was made thats left out there.. which is precious little, now, but there is still some. it is very hard to find, but perfectly legal to sell, purchase, own, and use... just not manufacture. and that is long since discontinued... so when we run out, its gone forever. sorta like alot of other things, come to think of it.....

but anyhow, its alot cheaper and simpler to find the parts to convert, and its not hard to do.. but i dont know the process well enough to give you a how-to. sorry. you DO need tools though, so its probably simpler to pay someone to fix it. you can get an estimate for free sometimes..