Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Synthetic engine oil is widely assumed to have a "detergent" effect when first used in engines accustomed to mineral oil. ie, it will de-gunk all gunky bits, and generally cleanse the engine. Will using synth at fluid (dexron 3) have a similar effect on a gunky 4eat ? Can it be introduced on a drain/fill, ... drain/fill regime , or is a complete flush necessary?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Nick

Any recommendations?

Synthetic engine oil is widely assumed to have a "detergent" effect when first used in engines accustomed to mineral oil. ie, it will de-gunk all gunky bits, and generally cleanse the engine. Will using synth at fluid (dexron 3) have a similar effect on a gunky 4eat ? Can it be introduced on a drain/fill, ... drain/fill regime , or is a complete flush necessary?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Nick

Any recommendations?

you still need to completly drain then refil the automatic transmission fluid. This is especially true since the synthetic may even degunk it more then regular fluid. ALso the old fluid is tired. Alot of its chemical properties are worn out or gone. NO mayyer that fluid you use you need to change all the fluid.

nipper

Nixon...any connection to Richard :D

No, I stole Leonard John K. Setright's surname almost ten years ago when I needed a unique "alias" on the internet. I've been reading CAR Magazine for 17 years, so LJKS has had a big influence on me and I chose his name because I have enormous respect for all his work. What a shame he has left this world behind.