Ultimate Subaru Message Board

overhaeting, too much coolant?

alright, my 84 hatch has been overheating. I usually try to fill up the radiator when it was low, it overheats often, right thing to do? maybe, maybe not. If I let it heat up, it only spits out so much then its okay. :confused: Then after that its fine. It has only gotten warm since, not hot. Has this happened to anyone else? My wagon does the samething, if you fill it up all the way, it overheats to a certain point then its fine. Only the wagon doesnt lose as much as the hatch. Wagon is about only an inch low, and hatch about two to three inches low. (dont know how much is actually in it) this all struck me weird. any info on why this is, is it a bad radiator, on both? or just the normal level for the antifreeze to expand that much? Thanks for in advance!

If it doesn't have a catch tank, only fill the radiator to the line about an inch below the filler opening...

Ditto. Non-closed-system cooling sytems require expansion room in the radiator. Typically, they are filled to about 2 inches below the filler neck for a crossflow radiator. If you put more coolant into a non-closed-system, it will dump out the excess.

Pressure and temerature are directly related. If your radiator cap does not "purge" under the correct psi your temps will increase but! And aslo stress the components of that are connected to the cooling system. The radiator cap is just part of the problem if that is the case. I recently did a large amount of work to my rig , including replacing the radiator. I ran into a over heating problem, an air bubble!. I thought I had burped the system well but when I removed the old tstat to replace it I found no collant directly below the tstat. So, during the replacement of the tstat I filled the block with coolant until the fluid came up flush with the tsat housing and I have had no problems since , with overheating.

i know exactly what you are talking about. If you look directly into the hole in your rad where you fill it, you will see a bent out tab, this is where the coolant in both of my rigs (ea81) likes to be. It is about 2 inches from the top. I can fill it up all the way, and as soon as it gets warm, it spits out everything north of the tab, then is happy (until i forget to switch my fan on in traffic)

I would swear mine expands after winter. I just let it do what it has got to do, then goes back to normal.It even climbs out of reservoir if not just right. Once the summer burp and gurgle sets in, it has no problems.

same thing here on my 86' hatch

doesn't matter what part of the state i live in about 1 1/2" below the cap

even tryed to replace the cap and got a 185 thermalstat same thing

it's a SUBARU thing

the car lived in spokane, renton, pasco with all the same results

just play peek-a-boo with it once a month if that temp gage stays the same and you'll be fine

ryry