Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Y-A-H-O-O-!-!-!

Traded in 2000 OBW, 5 speed, 2.5l w/100k miles. That wagon ran great, but this generation has a much better road feel.

Question- I have several oil filters left over from my '00 wagon. I think they're the same size as the 2.5l turbo required. Anyone have any insight?

Question- Turbos used to have to "spin down" prior to shutting off the engine. I saw no mention of this in the owner's manual. Any insights?

>>Of course, I searched this excellent board after I posted this 2nd question. Much discussion about spin down. General consensus is that its not required unless extremes of temp and driving are encountered. Even then, 1/2 say yes, 1/2 say no. Most of the problem seems to stem from earlier generation turbos cooking engine oil. Subaru has made cooling design changes to make this event highly unlikely. Conventional engine oils have improved as well. To be extra safe, consider a synthetic. Personally I'm a Mobile 1 fan, so-problem solved!<<

Y-A-H-O-O-!-!-!

Traded in 2000 OBW, 5 speed, 2.5l w/100k miles. That wagon ran great, but this generation has a much better road feel.

Question- I have several oil filters left over from my '00 wagon. I think they're the same size as the 2.5l turbo required. Anyone have any insight?

Question- Turbos used to have to "spin down" prior to shutting off the engine. I saw no mention of this in the owner's manual. Any insights?

>>Of course, I searched this excellent board after I posted this 2nd question. Much discussion about spin down. General consensus is that its not required unless extremes of temp and driving are encountered. Even then, 1/2 say yes, 1/2 say no. Most of the problem seems to stem from earlier generation turbos cooking engine oil. Subaru has made cooling design changes to make this event highly unlikely. Conventional engine oils have improved as well. To be extra safe, consider a synthetic. Personally I'm a Mobile 1 fan, so-problem solved!<<

I know it's not the same generation but my 94 turbo wagon has a sticker on the driver's door panel saying something like: "after hard driving or long highway runs let the car idle for a minute to cool down". I suspect that's just the warranty nannies being overly cautious but it can't be a BAD idea.

I know it's not the same generation but my 94 turbo wagon has a sticker on the driver's door panel saying something like: "after hard driving or long highway runs let the car idle for a minute to cool down". I suspect that's just the warranty nannies being overly cautious but it can't be a BAD idea.

The early Legacy turbos, as well as the EA82 based turbos, do need to be "cooled down" after hard driving.