Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5MT Swap Cruise Control Question.....

SO! The swap is done, and i swapped out the Cruise Computer (92 AT computer ---> 90 MT computer) and swapped the Relay and wired in the change to the plug:

AT-------MT

1 ------> 2

2 ------> -

3 ------> 3

4 ------> 4

--------- 1 -----> Switch on Clutch pedal -------> Ground

I DON'T know if the MT donor had working cruise control.

I DON'T know if the AT wagon had working cruise control.

I am not getting any light on my cruise switch. Thought it might be the bulb in the switch, went for a ride, engaged it, set the cruise (above 45 mph).... nothing.

I thought of a couple of things that might be the problem....

I need to check for continuity on both the clutch and brake pedal switches.

I need to know HOW to test the neutral switch in the manual

transmission. Is there continuity in neutral or continuity in gear? I didn't get continuity in either position leading me to guess the neutral switch in the transmission is bad. If that neutral switch is bad AND we are getting an "open" signal from the transmission, will that open signal deactivate the cruise control?

Where is the neutral switch?

How do you change it out?

How do you test it?

I also thought of the relay being bad. Is there a way we can test that relay?

How about that momentary switch on the dash board. How is that tested?

I know the cruise control problem is minor, just need a few nudges in the right direction. Thanks!

Looking at the info I have and if I am looking at what you are asking about in the transmission it shows one side of the switch is tied to power. You could try bypassing that switch to see if that helps get things going.

To test the switches you can remove the connection to them and use a ohmmeter to see if it is open or closed. You can also measure the voltage across it if it is open or it will have no voltage across it if it is closed.

I will tell you this regarding the neutral switch. I tried testing it like you did, and didn't get squat when the trans was out of the car. I don't recall if I retested it when it was back in the car.

Do your reverse lights work? If so, temporarily swap the wiring for the reverse lights to the neutral switch. The reverse lights should go on when the car is in gear.

The cruise switch should be independent of what you swapped in. Have you checked all your fuses?

I will tell you this regarding the neutral switch. I tried testing it like you did, and didn't get squat when the trans was out of the car. I don't recall if I retested it when it was back in the car.

Do your reverse lights work? If so, temporarily swap the wiring for the reverse lights to the neutral switch. The reverse lights should go on when the car is in gear.

The cruise switch should be independent of what you swapped in. Have you checked all your fuses?

i have NOT checked fuses, my reverse lights work. i'll be checking the fuses tonight.