Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2.2 98 legacy was hesitating a little bit at low rpms so I figured I would give it a tune up. I replaced the air filter, plugs and wires. When I started it, I sounds fine...but after 20 seconds it stalls. I can keep it running if I rev it but it runs like crap...and eventuallys stalls. It smells like its running really rich.

I double checked the plugs (gap, torque) and the new wires...everything looks fine. I cannot figure out what would be causing this.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Gene

Hi, Gene. (I just love saying that--it sounds so . . . clean!)

How many miles on your car? How does it smell like it's running rich--raw gas smell or excess exhaust smell? Have you checked for codes?

Might consider replacing your fuel filter if it hasn't been done in awhile. PCV valve too.

Also might need to replace the engine coolant temperature sensor and/or the O2 sensor.

But I'd start by checking (with an OBDII scanner) for any stored codes. That might point you to a specific problem.

Good luck.

Could be vacuum line, could be Coolant Temp. Sensor, could be fuel filter, or it could be the MAF (I had this problem :eek:). I'd check them in that order as well.

Do you have any hard starting problems? If you get it to move, does it stall out while you're moving? As I read more and more into your problem, I think you have a broke MAF - assuming you have a MAF. Before going straight for a MAF though, I'd check fuel filter and coolant temp sensor.