Ultimate Subaru Message Board

from new zealand , ignition question ..

hello all , i ahve a 96 impreza 1.8 4wd auto wagon (gf6) start from cold no problem , drive it up the road a little bit or get it warm and try to start again she will crank and crank 4 ages befor starting . replaced the coils and the ignition unit and the fuel pump (bosch) and the fuel pump relay ....... battery is brand new spark plugs are fine ... the real problem is that it wont always do it ... so its an intermittident fault ..... any ideas would be great thanks. removed my car alarm because i thought it may be the ignition immobiliser .... it wasnt .... cheers blair

Are you getting a check engine light, even intermittently? Could be the coolant temperature sensor. If it's faulty the ecu won't realize the engine is already warm and flood it on a warm restart. Does it start right up if you let it sit (cool down) for a while? I had a similar sounding problem on my 95 OBW and it was a cheap fix.

cheers,

matt

Similar problem here with my '96 OBW. It was the crank and/or cam angle sensors that caused the problem. Again, check codes if you are receiving them. The sensor was telling the computer not to fire. It made a quick trip for milk a real experience!!!

Good Luck!

Sweden

My vehicle needed to sit about 5- to 10-minutes before it would start again. If you have an extra plug wire and plug, pop it on when it won't start and see if there is spark. I got nothing... If I remember correctly, I received no Crank Angle Sensor code for quite a while. Then suddenly, it appeared. You can search for my thread on this from last autumn.

Good luck!

Sweden

I second Sweden's theory, because it also happened to my '96 OBW. It took forever to figure out that it was the crank angle sensor because the problem was usually transient enough that an OBDII code was never set. These sensors will fail with sustained exposure to heat, and the failure mode is that the sensor "opens," as in no signal is sent, when it is hot. Cooling off solves the problem, albeit temporarily.

well surprise surprise i joined the two black plugs under the dash togeather and up flashed code 11 ... crank sensor ..... will replace with anew one today , strange that the snap on modis diagnostic tool never picked up any fault . many thanks to all who helped . cheers blair