Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Castrol Gtx 20W50 and marvel Mystery Oil Experiment.

Guest oregonloyale

Guest oregonloyale

Drove the sube on the I-5 for about 30minutes @ 65 and up RPMs last night, bugger stopped chitty chitty bangin.

When I got off the hwy it was quite like a sube should be , with the normal exhaust mani leak sound , god i hate that to.

When my wife drove it around today 8/12/03 it started tickin just a wee bit as she got home. Well see what happens from here but Im thinkin that the previous owners never reaaly took care of the car and it needs alittle hwy driving to get her running right.

STAY TUNED.......................

Guest Subazoo

That's the thrill zone the EA-82s like...beleive me: my subie at 124,000 wouldn't idle, ran rough, stalled, had no power.

A Jap tech nut (Suzuki pro) told me with a flat 4 Boxer you have to bang 'em around and get her hot to clean up the sludge/free the valves.

DON'T BE SCARED. Get her up around 90 for 20 minutes, up and down, she'll be OK...

Guest Snowman

So what's the deal with diesel engine oil? Is it different or just a more heavy-duty oil? I have wondered for quite some time about running Delo 400 15W40 oil in my car at least during the summer.

Oh, and I definitely second that motion about running your car at high speed to clean it out. Two days ago I drove for 14 hours between 75 and 95, with a two hour stop at about the halfway point, and my car is a lot quiter and runs way better now.

Guest korrupt66

I went through this whole thing to. I have a 93 loyale that sounded like a diesel. I switched oils, filters,used mmo and other valve cleaners. I changed my oils three times before I found something that kind of worked. I used 10/40 castol high mileage and a wix filter. The only real fix was to change my oil pump and I suggest that if you change the oil pump you do the timing belts and the cam seals all at once and you should be good for another 50 to 60 thousand miles.

korrupt66

Guest Subazoo

DRIVE THE CARS THE WAY THEY WERE MEANT TO BE DRIVEN.

You guys who drive like little old ladies are gonna foul the engine and plate the valves with carbon...of course the valves are going to clatter if you run the car at HALF its designed rpms its entire life.

• 10 months later...

Just relating my recent experiance.

My "new" 89 XT-6 came equiped with low oil pressure and a mild tick. First oil change I put in Castrol 20w-50, and the tick got worse, and the pressure didn't come up. Night before the MidWest "Mud" Meet, I replaced the oil pump seals. Only got the MM and the big O-ring. I couldn't get the pulley/sprocket off, so I didn't do the shaft seal. Pressure came up just a tad, idle is still about 2psi. Ticking is getting worse.

about 5-700 miles ago, I tried the tranny fluid trick. Added a quart to the engine, and ran it for about 10 mins...help a little. I also went back to Mobil 10w-30, ticking was slightly better, oil pressure still low.

A few days ago, I poured in a whole quart of MMO, along with a can of engine oil stop leak (seal reconditioner) Ticking is now gone! Even with 2psi idle oil pressure!

Of course, we'll have to see if it comes back in 1000 miles when I change oil again and leave out the MMO. I also added about 8oz of MMO to the fuel tank...I've got a slight hesitation problem too...

Anyhow, I'm impressed so far.

I've only got about 100 miles on the MMO at this point.

RedLance

Don't forget teh pressure relief valves in the heads, as well as the little O ring between the cam tower and the head, I've heard those cause noisy lifters. Also, people don't change their oil often enough (Oil and filter every 3,000) and crud builds up in the lifters and plugs teh oil channels, so they don't "pump up" correctly, causing clatter.

Hey All,

Not wanting to single out Hondasucks here, but...lifters and lash adjusters are two different things. It can and will confuse people if we don't use the right names for these parts. Hope this helps.

Quidam

• 2 months later...

Well, mine is now ticking more then ever. Haven't driven it much lately, as I got a company van to drive. It's still got the Mobil 10-40 and MMO in it. It will stop ticking intermitantly, then it sounds like only one adjuster is ticking, then 2 or more...

I've tried several parts houses here, and none of them can get an oil pump for the XT-6. Is it the same as the XT-4? I'm assuming it's not... I might have to hit the dealer...My pressure is still way too low. The highest it ever gets is 45psi (with 10w-40 and MMO), at idle it's somewhere between 0 and 3psi.

Will keep ya posted.

RedLance