Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys....

Anyone ever change the shifter bushings in a 95 manual legacy??? How many sets of bushings are there? Anyone have a diagram?? The car I am buying is missing one of them so there is a ton of play in the shifter. I want to fix this so i know what gear i am in LOL

ALSO - how easy is it to replace the timing belt, and what is the replacement interval for them?

- thanks - Dan

There are three main areas where bushings are. There's one in the rear and the front of the mounting arm. Those bushings are the same as what's on the newer WRX's, so any upgrades for those, will work on your car.

Here are pics of the newer style shifter linkage & bushings. the rear one and the round one up front.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/kartboybushings/

The other place there are bushings is in the joint piece that connects to the transmission. On the older models, the bushings in the joint were replacable. The newer joint piece, you just have to replace the joint. I don't know whether your car has the older or newer style. I would guess the older style.

Here's pics of the newer style joint.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/joint/

Yeah that looks mostly like my WRX's shifter parts. Should be easy to do this....BUT....

There is excessive play in the shifter.....like it's so loose that it feels like the car is never in gear. Someone told me that it's a tranny problem....I don't see how this is possible though because the tranny shifts fine and is very sturdy.....just when it comes to the shifter itself...if you push it to one side or put it in gear, it feels like it's out and doesnt spring back likeit's supposed to.....Aren't i correct in assuming that it's a bushing issue and not a tranny issue?

HELP