Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil leaking from differential vent???

A year or so ago, I was told that my '97 Outback is slowly leaking oil from the differential vent. It has been 'topped off' a couple of times to ensure that the differential is full. I was told that I did not have to have the vent replaced right away. (Does this sound right?)

Within the past 4-5 days I have been noticing a quarter to silver dollar size spot of oil on the pavement after I have been parked for a short while and the differential looks wet. Previously, I was seeing no oil on the pavement only spewed all over the differential itself.

My car seems to be driving just fine, but I am becoming more and more concerned that this could turn into a bigger problem. What are the consequences of not getting this fixed right away? Could this lead to bigger and uglier problems?

Thanks!

I agree that you should get it fixed right away.There may also be a possibility that it is over filled causing it to come out the vent.I would double check your level and then put on a new diff vent piece.Winters in Alaska can be hard on something like that even if you only do mostly city driving.