Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Forester - Automatic - Interior light problems

99 Forester - new automatic transmission last year - "S" 105,000 miles.

I have issues with two interior lights. Other than changing light-bulbs in a lamp at home, I have no electrical skills whatsoever. I need some help!

1) When I turn on my lights all is fine except the console light does not go on unless I shift all the way from "Park" to "3" and then back. Would this have anything to do with the replacement of the transmission that was done about 9-months ago??? Spilled coffee from the crappy cup holder???

2) Not that I need this right now but the seat warmer light on the toggle switch for the passenger seat does not go on. The seat will heat up but light doesn't go on. Driver seat switch and heat works fine.

Since the console light works intermittently it means that there is a loose connection somewhere. I would check the bulb and socket first for the trouble.

The problem with the seat heater switch light may be due to a burnt out bulb. This is common. You can replace the bulb but it takes some doing as the bulb is in the switch assembly. I think there is some info about doing this that can be found if you do a search.

Edit

Here is some info that may help you if you decide to do this yourself.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26986&highlight=seat+heater+bulb

Thanks for pointing out that post - it looks like that's what I needed.

Since the console light works intermittently it means that there is a loose connection somewhere. I would check the bulb and socket first for the trouble.

The problem with the seat heater switch light may be due to a burnt out bulb. This is common. You can replace the bulb but it takes some doing as the bulb is in the switch assembly. I think there is some info about doing this that can be found if you do a search.

Edit

Here is some info that may help you if you decide to do this yourself.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26986&highlight=seat+heater+bulb