Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 Loyale DL EA82 with bad Valve Tap

I have a 89 DL with wicked valve tapping going on. The usual "Band aids" (CD2, Resilone) do the trick for a short time. I have posted on another forum and was told with high frequency that the oil pump seal at the engine block is no longer "Sealing". If I replace the seal, I have the highest potential of curing the Valve tap.

Who among you has had this similar experience and remedy? For obvious reasons I plan on replacing the Oil Pump and seal, camshaft seals, timing belts, and H2O pump.

I also was told I might need to change the Hydraulic lifters and was given this Forum as the place to go. Does anyone know how I might be able to acquire 8 lifters for my motor? How does this compare to the first remedy (Above) as a viable solution.

Thanks for any replies which will point me in the correct direction.

oil pump seal usually solves the problem. i've seen numerous failed gaskets in various states, slighty deformed to completely ripped apart and sucked down the oil ports. very common for this gasket to be compromised.

might want to consider replacing the crank shaft seal as well while the tbelts are off. or at least have one on hand if it looks like it's seeping at all.

HLA's can cause the same noise if they are stuck or frozen. infrequent oil changes would cause this condition. this can be "treated" with ATF, MMO, or seafoam. this is a rather large job and since the oil pump is the usual cause i would not go through all the trouble without knowing for sure it needs new ones. that information on how to replace them is on the board already, i've posted numerous times on how to do it and how to diagnose the bad HLA's once you get it apart.

I have 2 d/l's and had this problem. Put new mickey mouse seal on 0ne and new pump on other. Both are fine now.

Thanks for the input. I will among other things put a new oil pump and oil pump seal in mine. I appreciate all the comments, I feel more confident that the fix will indeed be the Oil pump seal. Good day.