Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy - REAR WHEEL BEARING?!?!

Hello!

I just purchased a used 1992 Subaru Legacy LS AWD Wagon. It's in good condition, but I was told it will not pass a Massacusetts State Vehicle Inspection because it needs a rear wheel bearing.

According to the local dealership, the parts alone will cost $160.

However, Autozone (and other online part sources) has the parts listed for $46!

Here's the catch. Autozone lists a Timken Inner Wheel Bearing for $46 and some other "related" parts such as a spindle lock nut, wheel bearing / hub assembly, and a wheel seal.I do not know the cost of the related parts. Do I need all these related parts? Is Autozone even listing the right parts?

Is anyone familar with this issue, this car or this part?

I need some guidance before I spend $$$ I don't need to spend at the dealership. I was told this is a very easy fix (remove wheel, remove rotor and caliper, pull out bearing, insert new bearing, replace brakes and wheel, DONE.) and I have the tools to do the job. Now, I just need to know what parts I need.

The vehicle IS driveable, but will not pass inspection. When you drive the car, you can sometimes hear the rear wheel making a rubbing sound and the wheel has a little bit of loose play even though the lug nuts are tight.

Can someone please advise me on how to proceed? I need to get this car fixed and inspected this week.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Just get the timkin bearing and new seals - do NOT get bearings from the dealer, they aren't worth it. The bearing itself comes with a nut and all that jazz. Take it to your local mechanic, he'll charge you an hour of labor. You gotta undo the caliper and hub and he'll have to undo the axle and pull the axle away to get at the hub.

Make sure he packs the bearing with new grease.

I disagree with Manarius about using aftermarket bearings.

I replaced all 4 bearings on my 91 Legacy a little over a year ago with aftermarket ones from Advance, and with only 13k miles on them, I already have a rear one that's getting noisy again.

The OEM ones don't last long, I agree. But the aftermarket ones last even shorter.