Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t questions

I have an ea81t that needs to be rebuilt in the future. Its leaking a bit of oil right now and i want it pristine and rock solid reliable. It overheated yesterday when i was driving uphill on a gravel road in 4wd. Thinking i should do it in the next couple months. My questions Are;

1) Can i increase the power or torque output of the ea81t without sacrificing reliability or much fuel mileage?

2) Can this be done easily or moderately cheaply?

3) Can it be as simple as replacing the turbo with a bigger one and what one should i use (how much too)?

4) Can i turn off the turbo with a boost controller to increase fuel mileage?

5) Is a boost controller a good way to easily push out a little more power?

6) Should i just love my ea81t for what it is?

7) should i be getting better than 20 mpg in my eat? I don't drive like an rump roast, and it seems that the best mileage i can get out of it is 22mpg on the freeway at 55-60mph. I thought that it being fuel injected would mean better mileage or at leas comparable mileage to the ea81 with a carb. What is the factory epa city/hwy rating?

1) Can i increase the power or torque output of the ea81t without sacrificing reliability or much fuel mileage?

Not really. Subaru made their turbo engines (EA81T and EA82T) to be more fuel efficient then powerful. So, as always said

POWER, RELIABILITY, CHEAP... pick two.

You can get power and reliability but it won't be very cheap.

2) Can this be done easily or moderately cheaply?

As stated above...

3) Can it be as simple as replacing the turbo with a bigger one and what one should i use (how much too)?

I have heard of people putting a turbo from an EA82T onto EA81Ts. They're about the same but the EA82T turbos are a lot easier to find and the earlier EA81Ts weren't oil and water cooled, just oil cooled. I know there was a recall on them but I cannot be for sure.

You can, however, with the turbo engine being a lower compression, it'll feel like a Subaru engine running on 2, maybe 3 cylinders. Gutless and no torque.

5) Is a boost controller a good way to easily push out a little more power?

You can push out more boost, which will make more power, but remember, the more air you flow, the more fuel you should run. Without the fuel, it'll run lean and detonation can occur, causing holes in pistons.

6) Should i just love my ea81t for what it is?

Might as well. If you don't feel like spending a ton of money on it for modifications, leave it stock. It'll go a lot more miles then modded.

7) should i be getting better than 20 mpg in my eat? I don't drive like an rump roast, and it seems that the best mileage i can get out of it is 22mpg on the freeway at 55-60mph. I thought that it being fuel injected would mean better mileage or at leas comparable mileage to the ea81 with a carb. What is the factory epa city/hwy rating?

Remember, its a turbo. With the lower compression, the turbo must stay boosted at higher speeds to remain at the speed. Granted, a lower speed means lower boost to no boost at all, but the instant you hit boost, gas mileage drops.

a boost controller cannot make the wastegate open at a level below the stock wastegate spring. in order to 'turn off the turbo' you would have to find a way to keep the wastegate open, as in force it open. you might be able to put a weaker spring in the wastegate diaphram, but im not 100% sure if they are supposed to be user serviceable.